Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Nav Bar. Am I doing something wrong? 

Damian Grady

Total Posts:  12

Hi,

I’ve just entered the wonderful world of Magento 1.3.1 as a complete novice.

I’ve been playing around with it and followed user guides etc to experiment with things but there is something that is supposed to be really basic that I can’t fathom.

I have a default category called ‘Default Category’ (strangely enough) and from that I created a sub-category named Coffee, made it active and an Anchor and it shows up in the nav bar on the front end as expected. So, I went back into admin and added another sub-category, Tea, branching directly off the Default Category. Applied the same settings - made it active and an anchor - went to the front end and only the Coffee category shoes up. BUT when I click on Coffee to go to the Coffee landing page, Tea pops up in the Nav Bar.

Why does it appear there and not on the Nav Bar on the Home Page instead?

Help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

gala_webshop

Total Posts:  5

Damian Grady - 22 April 2009 01:16 AM

Hi,

I’ve just entered the wonderful world of Magento 1.3.1 as a complete novice.

I’ve been playing around with it and followed user guides etc to experiment with things but there is something that is supposed to be really basic that I can’t fathom.

I have a default category called ‘Default Category’ (strangely enough) and from that I created a sub-category named Coffee, made it active and an Anchor and it shows up in the nav bar on the front end as expected. So, I went back into admin and added another sub-category, Tea, branching directly off the Default Category. Applied the same settings - made it active and an anchor - went to the front end and only the Coffee category shoes up. BUT when I click on Coffee to go to the Coffee landing page, Tea pops up in the Nav Bar.

Why does it appear there and not on the Nav Bar on the Home Page instead?

Help!

You are lucky! You have at least one category displayed.
I have spend 2 days and can not see any category to front-end, and no one will help and tell what I am doing wrong.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Damian Grady

Total Posts:  12

Have you told your store what the Root (Default) Caetgory is?

In Admin, select System the Manage Stores then select the link under the Store Name heading and in there you need to select the Root Category. Set that to the very top category in your category tree and make sure that all of your other categories come of that one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gala_webshop

Total Posts:  5

Damian Grady - 22 April 2009 03:24 AM

Have you told your store what the Root (Default) Caetgory is?

In Admin, select System the Manage Stores then select the link under the Store Name heading and in there you need to select the Root Category. Set that to the very top category in your category tree and make sure that all of your other categories come of that one.

Great. Many thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

assoman

Total Posts:  41
Roma

My problem is with anchor , if i tell yes or no to “is anchor” variable in category option, i will display all subcategory in layered navigation !! wtf !

Magento Community
Magento Community

nick hill

Total Posts:  1

I had a similar problem where some basic categorys were not displaying in the top nav on the homepage, but some (not all) were displaying when I clicked into one of the categoriy links.

Try going back to system->Manage Stores. Make sure the Root Category is selected correctly when you click the default store name to ‘Edit Store’, then CLICK SAVE STORE. This seemed to fix it - not sure why it occurred, but it done the job for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community