Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Limitations for commercial Use and alternatives ? 

ugem12

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

I just explored a bit magento. Its cool.. As i have little knowledge of ecom stuff, wanted to know what are shortcomings at the moment which
does’t allow for commercial use for now. As for payment module, temporary there is paypal option at backend. If its adviced to go through this
route ?

When the commercial use version might be available ?

Regards

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Magento will be able to be used for personal and commercial purposes. Of course, the purpose of magento is to sell things, which I would consider a commercial purpose, but nevertheless…

In any case, you should not use it until a stable version comes out some time next year (after all the bugs have been worked out).

Magento Community
Magento Community

ugem12

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for the reply. As i have to launch mine webstore, and delaying it for another 4 monts will have an logical loss to mine store. What could be alternative for this period ? I wanted to know, should i use magento for presentation and get orders processed by paypal. Or there are other solutions for the people like me, in the same boat.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

for now, a lot of people have been looking to use another hosted solution for ecommerce untill magento stable is released, i would reccomend doing something like that, so that you are not spending time and resources setting up a script to only be used for a few months

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

The simplest thing you could probably do is setup an Amazon, Ebay, or Yahoo store as a temporary solution. That’s actually how a lot of online merchants started their shop.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community