Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Unable to modify category/product templates

st0w

Total Posts:  3

I’m trying to modify any design elements on the category or product view pages to no avail.  Here’s what I’ve done so far:

* Clean install of Magento
* I’ve duplicated the entire default skin within the default interface directory to create a new theme with a unique name
* Within the configuration for the store view in question, I’ve set all values under Design -> Themes to the name of the new theme
* Caching is completely disabled (and I’ve even re-disabled it to empty it, just to be sure)
* ‘Template Path Hints’ is enabled

When I view the home page of the site, the template path hints all display the newly created theme’s name in the path.  Every element of the page is correct, and if I alter any of the template files within my custom theme directory, all of those changes are reflected instantly on the site.  For example:

frontend/default/themename/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml

But when I click any link on that page to view a category or product view, every element only uses the default interface and theme as reported by the path hints.  E.g.,

frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml

Why is Magento not using the proper new theme files?  This seems especially odd, considering the proper elements are used on the home page, but then other pages do not use these files - so it isn’t a permissions issue, or an inability for Magento to access the appropriate files.  Am I missing something, or is there some other setting I should be looking into?

Magento is completely up to date as of immediately before this post.

Thanks for any help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Total Posts:  218

Hi
in:
http://[your_host]/[your-magento_directory]/index.php/admin/system_config/edit/section/design

did you change the values of Templates, Skin (Images / CSS) and Layout

to your template name?

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

st0w

rainman127 - 21 April 2009 05:14 PM

http://[your_host]/[your-magento_directory]/index.php/admin/system_config/edit/section/design

did you change the values of Templates, Skin (Images / CSS) and Layout to your template name?

Thanks for the reply.  I did, yes.  I’ve even restarted Apache and cleared the cache since verifying that, and it’s still not picking up on the new theme name for these pages.  Also, I’ve run strace on the process when requesting one of these pages, and the server never even attempts to find these template files - it just goes right for the default template elements.

Magento Community
Magento Community

st0w

Anybody?  This is such a basic task, and I’ve followed the directions in the Magento Design Guide.  I find it a bit disconcerting that nobody has any suggestions for why following documentation on the site results in incorrect results… I could easily have done something wrong, does anyone have any ideas where I can check?

I’ve resulted to directly modifying the default/default components.  I know this is the wrong way to do things, but it’s the only way I’ve found to be able to continue skinning Magento and not lose time on this project.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tribsel

Total Posts:  26

i have the same problem.  Have no idea, but couldn’t be this the cause:

“ You can save as many themes into your interface directory as you’d like, but at the time of writing, your store can only handle loading the theme called ‘default’ and one additional theme of your choice to your store.”

as in my case> in my interface, there is default theme, and then my_theme. I need to modify my_theme based on store view (language). I tried to do it by adding and assigning my_theme_modified to some store view (followed instructions from screencast).  Result: nothing happened. Maybe this is not the right way how to do it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

robin2160

Total Posts:  1046
Berlin / Germany

It’s not necessary to create an own interface directory.
If you want to change only templates (phtml) or layouts (XML) is this the easy way:

default is the main magento interface

In this default interface contains the

default (original magento theme)
shop1 (your theme ex. for english or what ever your want)
shop2 (your theme ex. for your bicycle shop or what ever your want)

and so on.

As example you want to change the view.phtml for shop1:
Copy the original view.phtml from default to shop1.
You must copy this file in the same directory structure like the default directory.

Create the missing directorys in your shop1.

Copy not all from default in your shop1 directory. Only the phtml’s that you changing.

The same you can make for the skins.

skin
--- frontend
----- shop1
----- shop2

Copy the css and image directors from default in your shop1 skin.
Include your on favicon.ico in your shop1 skin (if you want).
Than you can changing the shop1 css.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In die Admin panel you can tell magento your new theme.

admin - system click on Design and select your Current Configuration Scope: ex. shop1

Current package name; default

Translations: blank field
Templates: shop1
Skin (Images / CSS): shop1 (if you create an own skin, otherwise blank field)
Layout: shop1 (if you changing layout xml, otherwise blank field)
Default: blank field

Save config and clear cache.

Hope this helps wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tribsel

Great, thanks! But what if I need to change only a few images in store1 according to language (store view)?
folder structure in app directory is>

-- app
---- design
------ frontend
-------- my_interface
---------- store1

-- skin
---- frontend
------ my_interface
-------- store1
-------- store1_translated
---------- images

I uploaded new images for store1 into store1_translated/images directory. Then in admin - system - configuration - design - themes:  I set default: store1_translated , Skin: store1_translated

but this has no effect at all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

robin2160

Berlin / Germany

Do you want changing category images or product images or cms images or layout images?
There’s always different ways.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tribsel

cms images - like logo and other images in sideboxes or so.

Magento Community
Magento Community

robin2160

Berlin / Germany

Ok, logo, search button and so on are layout images.

You can look into the skin/default/images folder. Every images do you see are layout pics.

Copy the new images in your store1_translated/images folder.
Importend:
The new images must have the same names and the same bigness like the original images!

Special Layout images:
Look into your skin default images/media folder.
Here you can found the rest of the Layout images like dog with laptop and so on.
If you want to modify this pics for a own skin you must placed the new images into your
store1_translated/images/media (create the new media folder).
The new images must have the same names and the same bigness like the original images!

Then go to Admin - System - Configuration

select by Current Configuration Scope:

store1_translated (your skin) and type store1_translated in the Skin(Images/CSS) field.

Save config, clear cache and enjoy

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tribsel

thanks! I really appreciate your help.

This works - while my store view is using default theme.  Once I turn on differnt theme by navigating to SYSTEM - DESIGN and then add design change,
it stops working.  Problem is that I have different theme - different frontend with different theme. I need to modify this theme for each language (store view).

the only solution which works right now for me is to copy whole theme folder in my new_interface and assign this new, modified theme to store view by SYSTEM-DESIGN- add design change.

SYSTEM - CONFIGURATION- select config scope - DESIGN - Themes> this doesnt do anything

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tribsel

thanks! I really appreciate your help.

This works - while my store view is using default theme.  Once I turn on differnt theme by navigating to SYSTEM - DESIGN and then add design change,
it stops working.  Problem is that I have different theme - different frontend with different theme. I need to modify this theme for each language (store view).

the only solution which works right now for me is to copy whole theme folder in my new_interface and assign this new, modified theme to store view by SYSTEM-DESIGN- add design change.

SYSTEM - CONFIGURATION- select config scope - DESIGN - Themes -> this doesnt do anything as long as some design change exists in ADMIN-SYSTEM-DESIGN

Magento Community
Magento Community

robin2160

Berlin / Germany

You used wich core interface ?
default or blank or modern

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tribsel

you mean as base for creation of my theme?  I did not created it, but as it is in “blank” folder - I would say blank wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

robin2160

Berlin / Germany

mmmh, I think here is anything confused in your structure.  smile

I see this correct?

1. Your Interface is: blank (not default from the first installation)

2. You have one website with 2 stores.

3. Every store has an own root category.

4. Each store with different language.

5. The shins are different by the stores not by the languages.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community