Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

multiple languages sites

deisko

Total Posts:  5
istanbul

Dear all,

I am new in Magento and now currently user of Smartstore. Easy to use but one big disadvantage no multiple language support. this can only be realized by coppying the website database and edit all article descriptions. Big disadvantage if on article changes you have to go the copy find the article and edit also there. Or when one article has been added, you must keep track to this all. Take a look at http://www.sebatis.nl to see the result.

Magento seems to give us the freedom and control we are looking for. Looking in the magento forums and all other parts I see several blogs about the multiple language but none of them seems to me give a clear answer how to do.
What we want to test before we will make the step to magento is the next.

websites categories languages design

http://www.sebatis.nl ceramic displays nl/en/de/tr gray
retail displays

http://www.deisko.com logistic solustions nl/tr blue
retail displays

1. both website have 1 categorie in common ‘retail display’
2. both websites will have own design layout
3. we coppied already the language packs nl_NL and tr_TR into ‘app/locale’
4. we downloaded the latest version of magento, where we can select other interface locales. But when we select one nothing changes though.

How is the drill down if we want one website where all categories and language variant description of the products are stored so if we create a new website we can select the category of the root and switch of the ones we don’t want to use?
If we now create a category and product we can not see to which store/website and language its linked, how can we know this?
If I created one article in for example english, how can I easily make the other language variant?

Thanks and looking forward on any reaction,

marcel

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Calimeross

Total Posts:  3

looking at the database structure for the current release, there doesn’t seem to be any provision for multiple languages for categories nor products.
As far as I can tell, you have to maintain 2 separate stores.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

The language packs (nl_NL, tr_TR) will translate only standard module and template strings

I’m not sure about completion status for these language packs, but i don’t think there has been done much.

You can edit the store (language) specific data for products and categories by switching store current edited store dropdown view in top left corner of the page on category and product edit.

If you switch to Stores tab on product edit page, you will see which store views this product is associated with.

Currently all categories from the same store root category will be shown, you can not disable a category per store, only change a root category for a website, or store group in latest release. This might change though.

Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Calimeross - to further clarify, Magento handles multiple languages through store views. The store groups can be viewed as a Store with one of the scenarios being each store view under this group as a separate language. This allows further flexibility and the ability to have a different look and feel per language.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

Total Posts:  48

hmm. I am not sure to understand this correct. As far as I understood it now it means:

Relation to shop is not location or the like, it’s language. A shop is nothing more than a language. No shop is really multilanguage.

Correct me when I’m wrong, please.

Featurelist is mis-leading when I understood it correct:

# Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration Panel with ability to share as much or as little information as needed
# Multi-Lingual

How to offer multilanguage shops in such scenario for each shop:

International seller. Shops are located i.e. in U.K., Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, wherever.

Each shop has to fullfill different legal issues which must be shown and handled. Each shop should show multiple languages for products as well as legals and more (i.e. german, english, polish, french, ...). There must be different handlings of three german languages (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) and taxes and the like due to differences at legal issues.

Will this be possible?

Edit:
To have anything centralized this should be managable within one browser window for each and every shop and “cross-shop” i.e. to have special actions in each and every shop at the same time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

diri - 06 March 2008 04:05 AM

hmm. I am not sure to understand this correct. As far as I understood it now it means:

Relation to shop is not location or the like, it’s language. A shop is nothing more than a language. No shop is really multilanguage.

I guess you are referring to Store View with the term Shop. Store View in its most logical sense can be used for multilanguage for a Store (a grouping of Store Views). But this is flexible enough to support other scenarios like having 2 views of the same store but with different products being visible (this can be accomplished by changing the visibility of a product per store view). An example would be to have a store that sales clothes and wants to offer this season items and last season items and to share the same category tree.

Separating the languages into Store Views allows to have more control on the look-and-feel of a store view, so that if a person wishes they can have different look and feel per language.

# Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration Panel with ability to share as much or as little information as needed
# Multi-Lingual

International seller. Shops are located i.e. in U.K., Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, wherever.

Each shop has to fullfill different legal issues which must be shown and handled. Each shop should show multiple languages for products as well as legals and more (i.e. german, english, polish, french, ...). There must be different handlings of three german languages (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) and taxes and the like due to differences at legal issues.

Will this be possible?

Yes. The best way to set this up would be to create a few websites (U.K. Netherlands, Denmark etc...) each (from what I understand) would have a single Store (group of store views) with as many store views as you have supported languages per each country. Each website will have per customer account its own shopping cart, order information etc. You can however have a single login for all websites per customer or even have unique logins per website (this is configurable), but shopping carts, wishlists etc will not be shared across websites ( because of what you call legal issues). For every website you will be able to define tax rules, shipping options and payment options.

So with this setup you can have a German website with German tax rules Shipping carriers catering to Germans , Austrians and Swiss people each with its own German version, and a UK website catering to English, German French languages. You can add as many websites as you wish to support. 

Edit:
To have anything centralized this should be managable within one browser window for each and every shop and “cross-shop” i.e. to have special actions in each and every shop at the same time.

I think this is supported, any specific issue that you think is not centralized?

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

YoavKutner - 06 March 2008 07:04 AM

diri - 06 March 2008 04:05 AM

I guess you are referring to Store View with the term Shop.

Ooops! Yes, you are right. Sorry for this - it’s common usage in my mothertongue.

YoavKutner - 06 March 2008 07:04 AM

Store View in its most logical sense can be used for multilanguage for a Store (a grouping of Store Views). But this is flexible enough to support other scenarios like having 2 views of the same store but with different products being visible (this can be accomplished by changing the visibility of a product per store view). An example would be to have a store that sales clothes and wants to offer this season items and last season items and to share the same category tree.

Separating the languages into Store Views allows to have more control on the look-and-feel of a store view, so that if a person wishes they can have different look and feel per language.

# Multi-Lingual

Will this be possible?

Yes. The best way to set this up would be to create a few websites (U.K. Netherlands, Denmark etc...) each (from what I understand) would have a single Store (group of store views) with as many store views as you have supported languages per each country. Each website will have per customer account its own shopping cart, order information etc. You can however have a single login for all websites per customer or even have unique logins per website (this is configurable), but shopping carts, wishlists etc will not be shared across websites ( because of what you call legal issues). For every website you will be able to define tax rules, shipping options and payment options.

So with this setup you can have a German website with German tax rules Shipping carriers catering to Germans , Austrians and Swiss people each with its own German version, and a UK website catering to English, German French languages. You can add as many websites as you wish to support. 

Edit:

I think this is supported, any specific issue that you think is not centralized?

Thanks

Ok, thank you for long answer.  I did not get multiple stores working where each stores had to exist with multiple languages. I will give it another try.

Using Magento in European Union is not possible at the moment, there are several capabilities missing. Nevertheless I will try to find out a little more about what’s possible, looks like there is time enough.

While we are at it, I lost a lot of time for finding no documentation and trying to get something to work:
Imagine you buy a bicycle. You have the frame and you can choose several components. One of them leads to choice of two manufacturers (don’t want to do PR, take S. and C.) which are incompatible and offer multiple choices of what you can use. Customer chooses C. which should show only parts from C. and vice versa as well as some compatible parts and third party parts. This can lead to situation where more “levels” are needed because chain can be original or 3rd party but, the gear wheels are somewhat critical.

It’s multilevel attributing or whatever you want to call it (next group of possible attributs depends on previous one being choosen).

Another issue is something which could be translated as “base price”. You buy something where mass is decission making element for price. Let’s take a bottle with something and 70 ml in it for i.e. $7.00. We also offer bottles with 150 ml in it for i.e. $12.50.  We are obliged to show “base price” mentioned before which enables customer to compare the value. In this case we have to calculate price for 100 ml for bottle with 70 ml as well as for bottle with 150 ml.

Are those features hidden somewhere?

Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

Tried to create independant second (and third and ...) website again.

It looked fine as long as I had no interest in having different site names because a different site is a different site. Magento sets one name for all sites. The whole thing is one site for this which is only divided into parts (shops and content). One can create and use different templates and the like but, it’s always same site. I found no way to introduce a second site.

I also tried to use different codes. It didn’t work as well - Magento always changes code of all sites.

SEO is also missing when choosing shop (?store=code_name). Display in field “select-store” is cut after 32 characters.

Having no special products in new shop Magento displays products listed in frontend from existing demo shop. Clicking a link being provided results in Error 404 which is not correct (link is correct). Question is why Magento does not switch to other store when link points to it.

Example with demo data:
New store shows link to all shoes, result is 404: apparel/shoes
It works correct in correct store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

Forgot to mention:
When choosing shop there is an underscore in link because code is used to determine shop. Search engines don’t like underscores in links.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@diri: just a side note, i’ve heard people say that underscores are even better than dashes, and even that “%20” is the best as word separator.

Do you have any basis for this statement?

Magento Community
Magento Community

diri

@Moshe

It’s experience over many years of SEO. I tried it for myself many times and always got better results with customer’s sites when omitting underscores. Therefor I avoid them as often as possible. I omit everything looking dynamic as well (.php and the like).

Edit:
Taking Google as example I managed to get three customer’s sites to position 1 with their products this winter within two weeks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mageNick

Total Posts:  7

So does that mean you able to translate the category titles and product short/long description for each language?
So when a user switches language eg. the product description also changes?
I cannot get this to work ...
Here is my other post on this issue ...
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/20597/#t69766

Thanks for any help in advance!

Magento Community
Magento Community

nabler

Total Posts:  80

so how to change Danmark to Denmark in country list magento at front end???…

Magento Community
Magento Community

treoncy

Total Posts:  7

nabler - 03 August 2010 11:54 PM

so how to change Danmark to Denmark in country list magento at front end???…

Hi Nable, i dont know if you found the answer to this, but just in case someone else stumbles upon this post. I guess you want to change the Name of the Language in the Language selector, the admin panel and in the URL trail if you have show store code enabled?

To adjust these setting you must go to System -> Manage Stores and then click on the Language in store view name. There you will find the option to change the Name and Code.

The Code is what changes the URL, and in terms of SEO Short is better.

I hope this answered your question.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community