Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Magento Installation Problems | 500 Internal Server Error

webman1200

Total Posts:  10

Hi all. I downloaded the latest version of Magento, and uploaded it to my server. I changed all of the file permissions for the directories/files mentioned in the installation guide. However, after doing so, when I go to mysite.com/magento, I get a 500 Internal Server Error message.

Does anyone know the cause of this? What’s the solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

-fred-

Total Posts:  3

If you know how to change file and folder permissions, then try setting the folder and the index.php file to 755.  I’m not happy with magento yet as I am testing this out

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

If your server is running suPHP, file permissions of 777 or 775 is not permitted and will cause a 500 error. Do not apply the permissions suggested in the installation guide if you don’t have to. Try to change the permission of all files to 644 and directories to 755.

If you still get the error page, the problem might be with your .htaccess.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webman1200

Hi, thanks for the replies. It actually gives me the 500 Internal Server Error regardless of making any changes. I tried re-uploading the Magento package, without making any changes, and got the same error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

What if you temporary disables/renames the .htaccess file? If you are on a shared hosting plan, some of the .htaccess directives might be disabled on the server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webman1200

Hi, that didn’t work either. I’m unsure of what the problem might be. I did a test by manually installing PrestaShop without any errors, but I’d like to install Magento. Might be a bug from the Magento package that needs ironing out maybe.

Magento Community
Magento Community

betepper

Total Posts:  17
New York, NY

I also just installed Magento on my server.  I unzipped the folder and uploaded to directory.  Went to url and proceeded to download/install updates.  As soon as it completed I received a 500 Internal Server Error http://brettevan.com/magento/.  Any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

If you want to simplify your testing create a file called phpinfo.php in the root of your Magento installation. Add this content to the file:

<?php
    phpinfo
();
?>

Remove or rename any existing .htaccess files and try to browse to that file, does it work or do you also get the error 500?

Check the permissions of the file, 755? 777?

This takes Magento (or any 3rd party script) out of the equation as well as providing info on what version of PHP etc (which version are you running btw?)

Magento Community
Magento Community

betepper

New York, NY

I did and it loads successfully http://brettevan.com/magento/phpinfo.php.  What permissions should I have .htaccess set to?

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

What is the permissions of the phpinfo.php file (and what version of PHP does it say you are running?

This was just to test that you could run PHP successfully outside of Magento.

So the next step is to add the .htaccess back into the picture (rename it back to .htaccess or recopy it from the Magento .zip), does the PHPInfo script still run?

If it does, I would suggest uploading the Magento .zip file to your server as a .zip file and unzipping locally on the server instead of uploading the individual files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webman1200

I added the PHPinfo script to my Magento directory, and I still got the same error. I don’t think it’s PHP, as I was able to run other PHP/MySQL CMS systems such as Joomla, osCommerce, PrestaShop, WordPress, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

so if the only thing that caused the script to stop running was moving it into the Magento directory, then the problem has nothing to do with magento.

It is most likely either:

1) permissions issue (is the magento directory set to 755 and phpinfo.php file set to 644?
2) If you rename the .htaccess file in the Magento directory to something else (.htaccess.bak for example) does the problem go away?

Magento Community
Magento Community

betepper

New York, NY

I just changed those permissions and now get a 403 Forbidden Error.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /magento/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

644 is not the correct permission mode for the magento directory. Set the magento directory and *all* subdirectories to 755. All files should be 644.

If you have SSH access you can use the following commands to set the permissions recursively.

Run the following commands from your magento root directory:

find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

If it still does not work, try to rename the .htaccess to .htaccess.bak.

PS: do you operate your own server, or is this a hosting plan? I would guess the hosting provider would be able to assist you with this problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Sorry for any confusion, was checking to see if they were set backwards, I guess that could have been misinterpreted. I have updated my post accordingly, thanks!

If you have SSH access, you can easily reset permissions across your entire Magento codebase using these commands:

find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \
find 
. -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \
chmod o
+var var/.htaccess app/etc
chmod 550 pear
chmod 
-R o+w media

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrbigint

Total Posts:  1

im getting this 500 internal error also.

i have the older 1.0 version of magento running in another directory and it works fine. doing an upgrade because the image upload no longer works for some reason.

i tried changing the htaccess files and still does not work. i really dont know what else to do.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4