Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento with Brick-and-Mortar stores

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

I’ve never seen or used a ecommerce package that supports B&M;stores. Is this something Magento will cover by default in the future?

What would it cover and what kind of connections with other interfaces would it support?

Having a B&M;store with ecommerce, it’s hard to keep the stock up to date unless you adjust the inventory manually upon each sale. Which is rather hectic around christmas. Support for barcodes and scanning might be one solution.

Anyone with throughout experience in this field?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

creat1ve

Total Posts:  10

Yeah, I have used software from apache called OFBiz which supports this.  However I believe if you had a desktop tool that can interface with magento and your barcode scanner it would definitely work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mweather

Total Posts:  33

I’m fairly certain you can use barcode scanners with a web browser. All you really need is a point of sale module for Magento that allows you to enter in the sku.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

I can confirm that scanners do work with browsers (in fact, any device should). We’ve develop a POS system that uses a scanner to interface with the web application here at Varien in the past.

Magento Community
Magento Community

creat1ve

Total Posts:  10

Sounds good to me.  Can we have something like that added to the roadmap, or will this be more of a community contribution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Community most likely smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

cindy313

Total Posts:  12

Johan - 09 September 2007 03:29 AM

I’ve never seen or used a ecommerce package that supports B&M;stores. Is this something Magento will cover by default in the future?

What would it cover and what kind of connections with other interfaces would it support?

Having a B&M;store with ecommerce, it’s hard to keep the stock up to date unless you adjust the inventory manually upon each sale. Which is rather hectic around christmas. Support for barcodes and scanning might be one solution.

Anyone with throughout experience in this field?

you mean barcode generator tool ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nChannel
Guru

Total Posts:  329

Wow, old post, but someone chimed in the other day. I just noticed this having been on the forums for a while. I’d like to mention that our Magento connector helps sync inventory with your brick and mortar for any Magento edition. By connecting Magento to your inventory system or POS, you can eliminate redundant data entry procedures. The connector can also push sales orders from Magento to your POS and help you keep inventory synchronized between the two.

Any questions, just let me know.

Darren
Our Magento Connector: http://www.nchannel.com/connect-magento-2/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community