Magento Forum

Account for Paypal Fees and Package Weight? 

Toz

Total Posts:  3

Hi, I’ve got my shipping calculator connected to USPS.com thanks to all of the helpful guides here, but I’ve got something else I’d like to set up but can’t figure out how, or if this is even possible in Magento.

Most of my items are low in price ($1-$3), and shipped in a bubble envelope for protection (which often weighs more than the items themselves). When I was selling individual items and manually calculating a total for each buyer, I had a calculator that did this for me.

Let’s say a customer purchases 2 small toys, that weigh .2 ounces (.012 pounds, in Magento) each, and cost $2 each. They pay with Paypal.

Calculated weight: 0.024 pounds, plus a bubble mailer that weighs .6 ounces (.036 pounds), for a total of 0.048 pounds.  This weight is plugged into USPS.com to get a shipping total.
On top of that, I add a small amount for packing supplies, usually 50 cents (most of which is the envelope).  This is easy enough to cover as a handling fee, but the other steps remain problematic.
Next, Paypal fees are calculated. These are 30 cents for any transaction regardless of total, plus 2.9%. If the customer is outside of the US, I instead use a rate of 30 cents plus 3.9% to allow for fee conversion. (Perhaps there is a way for Magento to calculate this based on the currency they choose? I’m not sure.)

Let’s say that this hypothetical customer is located in the UK. The shipping total from USPS.com is $1.40, for .048 pounds as First Class International mail.
We add the items and envelope, and get a pre-Paypal total of $4.00 + $1.40 + $0.50 = $5.90. After Paypal fees are factored in, this is $6.84. Unfortunately, since I’m not able to count the Paypal fees in my current setup, Magento calculates this as $5.90.

I actually luck out here because the USPS rate is the same plus or minus the weight of the envelope, but for a larger order where the envelope could increase the rate up to the next bracket, I’d lose money on shipping. In any case, though, I still lose out on nearly $1 in Paypal fees, which basically negates 1/4 of the actual order’s cost.

I can’t just add the weight of the mailer to each item, because that would greatly overestimate shipping for customers who buy several, and I can’t just negate it because I would end up paying out of pocket.

I guess the short question is, is there any way to account for Paypal fees in Magento’s totals, either by connecting to Paypal for it or just putting the rates given by Paypal into the site? Although I’d like to be able to account for the weight of the envelope too, it’s not as big a factor.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nasha

Total Posts:  138

hi
did you find any solution.do tell me

Magento Community
Magento Community

Toz

Total Posts:  3

Not really =/ I just hard coded a weight per package of .1 ounces to account for packaging, and an estimated amount for domestic and international PayPal fees into the total price calculator.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community