Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento has no var/cache folder? 

foley13

Total Posts:  40

I have inherited a magento site from another company and the site needs some amends which i have done but the changes were not visible on the frontend. When I went to delete the var/cache folder there wasn’t one, so I manually created a folder called cache and made the var folder and cache folder writable but magento is not writing to the var/cache folder.

How can I solve this problem?

Thankyou

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

foley13

Thankyou for getting back to me, I have this as my setting in my local.xml:

<session_save><![CDATA[files]]></session_save>

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Look in your system /tmp folder. If you find the Magento cache there, your file/folder permissions and ownership on the var/ folder are messed up and Magento is writing to the system /tmp instead of Magento’s var/cache and var/tmp folders.

Magento Community
Magento Community

foley13

Again thankyou for the replies,
Where would be the system/tmp as it isn’t there when I connect to the server via ftp? and how do I change it so it’s not writing to the database and writes to the var/cache folder instead?

Thankyou for your help, I was lost with this but feel I’m getting to the bottom of it with your help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

foley13

Just bumping this up as I cannot solve this issue and have tried what people have suggested but nothing is working.

Just hoping someone can help.

Thankyou.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community