Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Complicated upgrade issues

Jamaicamama

Total Posts:  19

Hi,
I am moving to a new VPS hosting account from a shared hosting account and would like to know the best way to go about it??

The issue is that the current Mangento installation is old… ver 1.0.19870.2 - Do you think it’s best to do a completely new installation on the new server then move the old database and associated files over?  OR, should I move everything over and then upgrade to current version?

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  796

Depends on how much data is in your existing system?

If a lot, I would keep it simple and do one thing at a time:

For your situation, I would backup your production environment (as is) (files and database) and get the kinks of moving it worked out in a sandbox environment (XAMPP local, ect) with no security issues, etc. getting in the way just to understand the process. Then spin it up in the new environment in a trial fashion (ie. not a live move) to work out environmental issues (permissions, connectivity, etc). Then do a final backup of production files/database and restore to the new environment and cut over..

If a little, I would install clean (1.3.1) in your new environment and import users/products over after you’ve worked out any environmental issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jamaicamama

Total Posts:  19

Thank you for responding Skippy.  I was leaning towards your second suggestion as the site doesn’t have too many products.  Just have to deal with the customizations I made - it’s been a while.
smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community