Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Displaying layered navigation at all times? 

Sintax

Total Posts:  58
Hungary

Hi,

Is it possible to display Layered navigation always? I have 3 categories and want one of the categories’ layered navigation to be always visible (even in the product info)

How would this be done?

::Sintax

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sintax

Total Posts:  58
Hungary

well, if the user wanted to have the ability to navigate based on the layered navigation’s items it would be useful, since he may be viewing an item and wants to find another item based on the same criteria (or at least see what the criteria was) he could also have the option to switch to another filter result without navigating back one page.

And on the home page how can it be enabled?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Total Posts:  74

Yes, I’ve been trying to figure out how to enable it on the home page forever (almost 3 weeks). Any progress on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Total Posts:  190

9 months and still no answer to this question?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

ohminu - 01 March 2008 02:10 AM

what would the layered navigation show in a product view page? There would be no use for it there.

I would say the two top reasons would be efficiency and marketing!

I do not want to rely on pull-down or pop-up menus to showcase what products we sell. Sure they make the interface less cluttered, but they can also negatively impact sales if they reduce exposure of your products to your customers.

Our company sells about 15 categories of products. I want our customers to see all of the categories that we offer (from the time that they enter our site until they leave). For example, someone may come to our website looking to buy a poster but if they see “T-shirts” staring them in the face while they are browsing our poster collection, they are more likely to buy one. The chances of them buying a t-shirt is greatly reduced if they never see it because it is buried in a pull-down menu.

And then there is efficiency. Why require two clicks when you can do it with one? If the customer is in the product view page of a poster, I want them to be able to jump to t-shirts in a single click.

By the way, what does the “Team Member” badge mean?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Total Posts:  74

I sloved this problem on all but the product pages. The solution is in one of my posts or replies to other posts with similar topics. Feel free to browse. It’s been awhile now so I’m not totally sure, but I updated the xml in the front page cms and to have all the products show I created a category that’s hidden from the menu which contains all the products. This category can be displayed in the home page cms so the filters will apply to all products with some magento syntax {{ forger what syntax but it out there }}

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Yes, we were able to modify the code to get it working but it required us to create a static list of our categories for the product view page. This sucks because this list should always be dynamically generated.

The option to always have category links visible should be an option in the admin control pane! It should not require hours of detective work to figure out how to get this functionality. 

Can someone at Varien (perhaps the Team Member that asked why) please let us know if you understand the reason for this option and if you are working on update that implements this feature?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Is this an option in Magento 1.4 (if so, where is it located) or does this still need to be hard coded?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tom Robertshaw
Guru

Total Posts:  485
Bath, UK

Not that I know of pezomatic.  Looks like you’ll still have to hardcode it for now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Not happy!

Does anyone know of a plug-in that adds this functionality?

I looked but could not find one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Blegh, the old modification code that I used for 1.3 no longer works!

Does anyone have updated code for how to do this in Magento 1.4?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Anyone got this working in 1.4?

Magento Community
Magento Community

thezman

Total Posts:  8
Gainesville, GA

I think I have this figured out.

I changed my catalog.xml file to the following:

<!--
Product view
-->

<
catalog_product_view translate="label">
        <
label>Catalog Product View (Any)</label>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalog/layer_view" name="catalog.leftnav" before="-" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <!-- 
Mage_Catalog -->
        <
reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/3columns.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>

Notice all I did was add the <reference name="left"><block type="catalog/layer_view" name="catalog.leftnav" before="-" template="catalog/layer/view.phtml"/></reference> and change the <template> to be 3 columns.

I’d love to know if someone else comes up with another solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

thezman - 20 September 2010 07:06 AM

I think I have this figured out.

Thanks thezman. Unfortunately your code does not create the behavior that I was hoping for. It keeps a left column visible when you click on a product to view more details but the column does not retain the list of my products. At least not in (ver. 1.4.1.0).

Magento Community
Magento Community

Flaxton

Total Posts:  137
Houston

I saw this plug-in on a developer’s site when purchasing a multiple coupon extension.

Features
Add layered navigation to the home page - it is very important to let customers see available options right from the start.
Add layered navigation to any cms page
Layered Navigation at product pages

http://amasty.com/improved-navigation.html

I purchased an extension(not this one) and it works perfectly and uses minimal code. Very nice extension developer with Amasty.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pezomatic

Flaxton - 06 October 2010 11:56 AM

I saw this plug-in on a developer’s site when purchasing a multiple coupon extension.

Features
Add layered navigation to the home page - it is very important to let customers see available options right from the start.
Add layered navigation to any cms page
Layered Navigation at product pages

http://amasty.com/improved-navigation.html

I purchased an extension(not this one) and it works perfectly and uses minimal code. Very nice extension developer with Amasty.

Thanks, I’ll have a look.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2