Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Connect fresh install permission problems

XjSv

Total Posts:  38
Ridgewood, NY

I recently installed magento and when i go to magento connect i get the all famous :

“Error: Please check for sufficient write file permissions”

now the thing is that there r about a billion posts and threads in this forum about fixing file permissions, the reason y i had to do a fresh install is because after fallowing directions of some “wise” *cough* people i messed up the whole things. There must be like 1000 different versions of ways to fix permissions. 99.9% seem to not be correct, or just work for particular cases and particular files. but the users post them up as tho it will work for everyone which is how i got into this mess.

CAN any one pleaseeee give me 1 just one way the correct way of fixing file permissions without destroying my entire shop beyond repair.

none of that 777 the whole things...im not to happy about that. if ur gonna say that thanx but no thank you save ur breath

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

But on some servers, you cannot run files/folders which have 777 permissions, so check on that. And of course is the classic problem of incorrect file ownership which may need to be corrected.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community