Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Text field on order for specific product. 

avitorio

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

I have magento installed and I’d like to add text fields in the order process, for ex: let’s I am selling a tshirt and we allow customers to add a custom phrase to it. I’d like to add a text field so when customers purchase they would see “Tshirt custom text:” and this would be passed to the admin automatically. Is there an easy way to do this? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cloudquarry
Guru

Total Posts:  528

Hi avitorio,

You probably want the custom field to be on the product page instead of on the order page in case your customers buy multiple t-shirts.

Give this video a watch: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-on-the-fly/custom-product-options/

It shows how you can add a custom option (like a text field or text area) where your customers could type in the phrase they want to be on the shirts, and that will get pushed through in the order process.

If that doesn’t work for you, there are a few commercial extensions in Magento Connect that allow you to add custom fields to the checkout process itself. I have not tested these and don’t know how well they work.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

avitorio

Total Posts:  4

ksolaro - 18 April 2009 12:10 PM

Hi avitorio,

You probably want the custom field to be on the product page instead of on the order page in case your customers buy multiple t-shirts.

Give this video a watch: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-on-the-fly/custom-product-options/

It shows how you can add a custom option (like a text field or text area) where your customers could type in the phrase they want to be on the shirts, and that will get pushed through in the order process.

If that doesn’t work for you, there are a few commercial extensions in Magento Connect that allow you to add custom fields to the checkout process itself. I have not tested these and don’t know how well they work.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

This is perfect for what I need. Thank you. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

gfxguru

Total Posts:  186

This no longer works!! Darn shame. The text collected is not shown on the order. It’s on the customer order that they see under “My Account” section but it’s not showing up on the order. I’m using the latest 1.6.1 on the modern theme. Anyone else having this issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

gfxguru

Total Posts:  186

This is also not an issue with the theme. I’ve tested it on 3 themes and text is not show on the ordered items. I have also tested this on 1.4.1 and it works, on the latest 1.6.1 it’s broken.

Has anyone run into this issue yet

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community