Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

catalog -> manage categories, most buttons don’t work. 

nonfinite

Total Posts:  9

Add root category, add subcategory, save category all broken.  Reset works.

Just fixed the admin panel issue to discover this.  Anyone else have a similar issue?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

nonfinite - 16 April 2009 09:20 AM

Add root category, add subcategory, save category all broken.  Reset works.

Just fixed the admin panel issue to discover this.  Anyone else have a similar issue?

Do you see a Default root category? If not, I suspect that there is something wrong with your installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nonfinite

I don’t see one, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  I can’t expand out the trees, so I have no idea.

Is there something I should check for?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Chicago area

nonfinite - 17 April 2009 04:51 AM

I don’t see one, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.  I can’t expand out the trees, so I have no idea.

Is there something I should check for?

If you don’t see a “default” root category it’s not there… you don’t need to expand anything. I suspect that you’re missing some files that should have been installed.

What version of Magento are you using? and how did you install it?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nonfinite

1.3.0, full install uploaded via FTP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Chicago area

nonfinite - 17 April 2009 08:02 AM

1.3.0, full install uploaded via FTP.

That’s probably where your problem came from, not all of the files got uploaded successfully. Magento recommends using the downloader version of the installation for a simple reason… it’s much more reliable.

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

nonfinite

The downloader freezes every time I try using it, sadly.  I’ll delete everything and try again using the installer, then let you know where it freezes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Chicago area

nonfinite - 17 April 2009 10:53 AM

The downloader freezes every time I try using it, sadly.  I’ll delete everything and try again using the installer, then let you know where it freezes.

Be very, very, patient with the downloader. It takes a long, long, time. And, even though it may appear to freeze because it’s no longer outputing anything to your browser it may still be working on the server. Give it some time (go out for a couple of beers), and then try accessing your install folder again and see what happens.

cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

emeraldco

Total Posts:  29

I had the exact same issue.  Don’t know why.  I was still building the site so I just killed the files, downloaded the 1.3.1 version and reinstalled.  No all of the buttons in the admin panel are broken.  This does suck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

Hi,

The Magento Downloader only works if the server environment supports it. Otherwise manually uploading files is usually the best method to install Magento correctly as you have full control over what is being done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nonfinite

install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Lib_Varien-1.3.1

^This is the line where the installer has gotten stuck, every time.  I’ve tried the downloader about four times.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nonfinite

It’s been three hours and the install still hasn’t finished.  I think it’s safe to say it’s not going to install.

Magento Community
Magento Community

emeraldco

Total Posts:  29

OK all fixed again.  I used FTP to upload the site.  FillZilla seems to work very well.  It broke a few times but I just keep setting the permissions back to 755 for directories and 644 for files, and then all is happy.  I REALLY wish it would STOP changing them incorrectly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

2kp

Total Posts:  10

I’ve got this issue too since upgrading to 1.3.1. Permissions seem all correct. Not sure what has cause this?

Any help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nonfinite

Still no solution found here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Chicago area

nonfinite - 20 April 2009 07:37 AM

Still no solution found here.

The one solution I can think of is to do a comparison between a local decompressed copy of the Magento full release and the files you have online.  A very tedious process.

Or, as suggested in a previous post, the problem may be with the way your hosting company has configured their servers.

Do you have a local copy of Magento installed on an XAMPP package? My local copy is working fine with 1.3.1. My live site is also working fine with 1.3.0.

If you need help installing XAMPP see http://ipicdg.com/EC/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community