Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 13
Magento going commercial

picxelplay

Total Posts:  13
Phoenix, Arizona

Does anyone else feel like Magento is going in the opposite direction of Open Source?  With release of their Enterprise edition, I believe they are going to focus more on that edition rather than the community edition.  They are charging almost $10,000 for it.  This is something like Microsoft, IMB, Cisco, Netsuite, and others do.  I really do not think Varien is a true Open Source supporter.  I would not doubt if in the later years they ditch the community edition.  It bothers me.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

marc_j

Total Posts:  37

Looks like you can relax a bit -

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/announcing-the-magento-enterprise-edition/

Fully committed to the open source product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

Personally, I love the new direction.

It ensures that there will be a working financial system in place to support the freely available software.

Have you heard of MySQL?  A similar open source story.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Armen

Total Posts:  46
Los Angeles

Full commitment to the open source product and model does not follow just from words in blogs posts and news announcements. There seems to be significant product feature differentiation between the two editions just at the introduction and there is no telling if it will stop here. Will we get new features in the community edition at all now? Or is it just a dead end and we should be happy with it as they continue to add features to the enterprise edition? Where do they draw the line on the widening gap between the two? That’s really not been made clear has it?

Yes, I know, we should be grateful that such a great product is shared for free with us. But at the same time I think it’s a bit much to say Varien are committed to the open source development model in a way that Mozilla is or even MySQL are (were?). The community has very little insight into actual development between releases, no input into releases or roadmaps, and the bug tracking system is possibly the worst one I’ve seen in use for any major piece of software (extremely poor search and filtering abilities make it near worthless to search for duplicates or track existing issues you care about).

I hope that the new Community Advisory Board is going to start producing real results and improvements for the community here as opposed to being additional lip service to the “commitment” to the open source community. So I’m all well and grateful but, talk is cheap. I’m ready to see results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

buyaggressive

Total Posts:  22

Ok, $9000 is too much.
Look at other e-commerce sites we’ve look through.
1. Our site could go with Pinnaclecart:
http://demo.pinnaclecart.com/
Look how nice it is. And professional hosted solution costs $100.
You can look pricing here: http://www.pinnaclecart.com/pinnacle-cart-hosted-solution.htm
You can also buy license for $700, and use hosting you like.
P.S. It uses PHP code smile))

2. Nexternal .
$1000 setup,
$250 per month OR from %3 to %0.5 from sales (It depends how much you sell).
They have Amazing Shopping cart system. You don’t have to reload page for shopping cart to change.
Go check it, Just Amazing.
Plus their customers praise how Nexternal markets their website and products. They say their sells increase couple of times, when they migrated to Nexternal from other e-commerce solutions.
So if you want to make more sales you go with them smile))

3. AbleCommerce
Asp.Net Pro Readers Choice Award winner 2007.
License Costs $1000. (Also have hosting solutions)
- Impressive client list. One of them: http://www3.pny.com/
- Good customer feedbacks.
I like this store: http://www.designerlinensoutlet.com/store/index.asp

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

fifthave - 15 April 2009 06:38 PM

It is not $9000 and you own it for life, it $8900 per year.  Good luck selling that when we have better options out there.  And if you can read understand the German language, their is great free open source cart that is very similar to magento.  I smell a community fork coming very soon.  Past history has shown that when a free open source carts are commercialized, the community will find other solutions or go back to their roots.

Its even worse than that… It is $8,900 a year per server and that is just the starting price. So, if you get more than lets say 1000 uniques a day then you need to buy another $8,900 license for that additional server. This is perhaps one of the most over-priced pieces of software ever. If it was $500 a year and only included the features (no support and all that jazz), then I might consider buying it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Crucial Web Host - 15 April 2009 03:42 PM

It ensures that there will be a working financial system in place to support the freely available software.

Well of course you do… You are a web host and not a shop owner

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Personally, I do not mind so much as long as the commitment to the open source one is the same. It seems to me the enterprise edition is little more than core modules on top of the community edition, so the community edition still must provide a solid base.

What I do not understand is how magento plans on remaining competitive against module writers. For example, every enterprise-exclusive feature could be created by a developer in 3 months or less (where less is more like it). We will see these exact same features for sale for $149.99 in 6 months. For example, gift cards… There is already a gift card module that cost under $100 if I remember correctly. Some of the features I could implement myself and be bug-free in a week such as administrative logging and permission level on website / store levels.

So, if you were to take $8,900 per year per server.... Imagine how many modules / custom development you could buy. And, the people most likely to buy the enterprise edition will already be able to do this stuff themselves because they probably have an IT department. Really, I think magento will shoot themselves in the foot unless they drastically lower the price to perhaps $500-$1000 a year and unlimited servers. I guess if they can sucker people into paying that, then good for them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

picxelplay

Phoenix, Arizona

Crucial Web Host - 15 April 2009 03:42 PM

With a price of $9,000, THAT “financial system” is for the big wigs........The HUGE companies (sony, time warner, tbs, whatever) that spend 10-50gs to set up a CMS/Ecommerce CMS website.  The Enterprise edition should be a $100-$500 ONE TIME FEE tops.  To what to Armen said, he is right...look at the differences when you compare the Enterprise & Community Editions.  Does anyone notice anything?  The WHOLE right column of the Community edition says either “Not Included” or “Not Supported.” The WHOLE left colum of the Enterprise Edition says “Included.” I would guarantee that what is included in the Community Edition right now....is going to stay that way forever, and the Enterprise edition is going to get all of the new features.

And you cannot compare this to MySql. Way different.  The gap is widening much faster here. 

I am a Joomla! and Drupal designer/developer.  Now, those are true open source supporters.  Keep in mind that Open Source does not necessarily mean free...but $9,000/yr?!  Open Source companies need money to continue development, but that price tag is not for development.  That price tag is for PROFITS.  They are trying to scoop up all of the huge huge companies with that price. 

fifthave - 15 April 2009 04:23 PM

Especially since the community did all the testing for their enterprise release with very little input from the staff.  Many of the features mentioned in the enterprise version were suppose to be part of the community version and now they will not be offered.  This is a slap in the face to entire community that helped debug this software.

---That is a huge slap in the face to the community. All the hard hours the community puts in to better the software and doing their dirty work. 

Hey “buyaggressive,” I noticed you don’t have any Rank Data on your site.  Go to Alexa.com and submit your site.  It will do wonders.  And get the FF Addon for it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

john_polk9

Total Posts:  5

Sadly, you guys are completely missing the picture. You’ve lost nothing - in fact, you’ve only gained by this announcement.

This ensures that there is a (hopefully) successful business model, which will ensure an even better open source product. Don’t we all want to see Magento continue and succeed, how is this hurting any of you? The talk of forks is absolute nonsense, why would anyone use a fork that will most likely not be supported or maintained in the long run. Varien has committed here, publicly, to continue development of the open source product. I believe it. You should too. I am sure we’ll be able to judge in a relatively short period of time.

I am afraid that the pure, zealot open source goggles that many of you are looking through blur the reality. The reality is that this is the best news any of us could of hoped for. It ensures a product that will be around for a very long time. And if you don’t want to pay for the enterprise edition - don’t. No one is forcing you to do anything.

I, for one, am extremely happy to see the direction. This is a winner for all of us.

Magento Community
Magento Community

picxelplay

Phoenix, Arizona

I think you are missing the picture john_polk9. I know you are missing the point with this comment, “And if you don’t want to pay for the enterprise edition - don’t. No one is forcing you to do anything” Its about the price of it and what they are conveying with that price.  They are basically saying the Enterprise is for Million dollar companies.  That’s what industry Varien is trying to break into!!!  And also they made it real clear to point out that the Enterprise comes with ALL the features, while the Community one does not.  Read it on the compare page. 

Have you ever heard of the fork from Mambo...called Joomla!. Ya..best thing that could have ever happened in the CMS world.

You obviously do not know much about Open Source if you are extremely happy with this.

With buyers at that price, All of Magento Employees attention will be on the big clients, and developing for big clients, and developing the Enterprise for those big clients.  Leaving the hard working os community in the dust to fend for themselves.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrew Smith

Total Posts:  22
Cape Town, South Africa

We are a small company based in South Africa, with a small site. We are definitely not a “larger company” that the Enterprise Version is supposedly geared towards. And yet, we sell gift certificates. We accept returns. We have a gift registry, which is on the road map and we’ve been waiting for, but I seriously doubt is going to make it into the Community Edition now.

I don’t have an issue with the concept of Varien making money or having a paid version. I am concerned with the definition of “Enterprise”, and the likelihood of most features we need being included only in that version. I would understand if the Enterprise version integrated with SAP, ran on Oracle, had caching and optimization for 10,000 uniques a day etc. That seems a lot more enterprise than gift certificates?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

I would believe magento’s commitment to opensource if the features of the enterprise version were all enterprise features. However, gift cards / store credits and even the encryption is not an enterprise feature. Those are basic features that should come standard and do come standard with almost every other shopping cart.

Now, the community will get all these features of course via modules, so it is not all bad. I would of not minded this announcement if the price was <= $500/1000 for unlimited servers. However, Varien has pretty much announced who their target is and it is not small shops or even medium shops. In fact, I would venture to say that every shop that currently runs magento is not who Varien is targeting and therefore will be left in the cold from this point on. The good news is that enough people use magento that if Varien does forget the community then the community can fork and the fork will probably be successful.

Magento Community
Magento Community

john_polk9

Its about the price of it and what they are conveying with that price.  They are basically saying the Enterprise is for Million dollar companies.  That’s what industry Varien is trying to break into!!!

Why do you care and how does this effect you? Are you that short sighted? If that’s what they want to do, I wish them the best. I want them to succeed. It will give my company a better open source product. In fact - sell it for $50K, if organizations buy into it, that’s wonderful for all of us.

Enterprise comes with ALL the features, while the Community one does not.

The community product is incredibly feature rich. Have you paid a dime for it? Why do feel you are owed and granted every single feature in the world for free? If you want a feature, develop it. Put up some money. Expecting to get it all for free is childish and naive. The world doesn’t work this way. Did you email and complain to every extension and template developer asking for their work for free? Do you provide free services to your clients? Let’s get real here - what you are getting with Magento out of the box is incredible. Unmatched. You should be grateful.

You obviously do not know much about Open Source if you are extremely happy with this.

Sorry my friend. You don’t understand what open source means. For you its about FREE and demanding it all. For me its about collaborating, working together and having the freedom to make choices. I want open source companies to succeed. I want to see adoption. This will happen if everyone is rewarded. Not just people who complain and expect the world.

Give it some before you jump to conclusions. It will sink it. You’ve only gained my friend. You’ve lost nothing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

john_polk9

Andrew Smith - 15 April 2009 10:38 PM

We are a small company based in South Africa, with a small site. We are definitely not a “larger company” that the Enterprise Version is supposedly geared towards. And yet, we sell gift certificates. We accept returns. We have a gift registry, which is on the road map and we’ve been waiting for, but I seriously doubt is going to make it into the Community Edition now.

There are extensions you can use (gift certs) and I am sure more will be available. If there is a demand, someone will understand the opportunity and develop for it. If you can’t afford the enterprise fee, let’s hope that the commercial (or even better non-commercial) extensions will help you out and be more cost effective.

As far as the roadmap, let’s see what Varien does. It will probably be a mix of things for the community and enterprise from how other open source projects have done. Whatever we get is a gain for us, not a loss.

Magento Community
Magento Community

picxelplay

Phoenix, Arizona

Dude, you are missing the ENTIRE point. If you have not gotten it by now, you are never going to get it.  You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 13