Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is upgrading to 1.3 worth it? 

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

I’m trying to determine if it’s worth the investment of time to upgrade to 1.3. Can anyone who has done so give a quick outline of the benefits realized?

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Total Posts:  218

Hi
If you’re happy with what you have now there’s no big rush but we’ll all have to at some point.
Unless I’m having an issue I’ll usually let some of the bugs get ironed out first.

I did install it on a demo and also upgraded one install. the only issue was with Magento Connect but you can work around that.

hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

louise100

Total Posts:  168
UK

Everytime I try to install the worldpay extension, Magento tries to update to 1.3 - which I don’t want it to do, as I have already experienced various problems with it.  Is there a way to stop the connect manager from trying to automatically update to a newer version of magento?

Louise

Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

louise100 - 15 April 2009 02:31 PM

Everytime I try to install the worldpay extension, Magento tries to update to 1.3 - which I don’t want it to do, as I have already experienced various problems with it.  Is there a way to stop the connect manager from trying to automatically update to a newer version of magento?

Louise

Hi,

If wordpay has 1.3 listed as a dependency (and it sounds like they do) there is no way around it using Magento Connect.
you may be able to download it with pear butit will probably act up if you don’t have magento 1.3

Magento Community
Magento Community

Unirgy
Guru

Total Posts:  478

You can install extensions using pear ignoring any dependencies from shell (nodeps):

./pear install -n magento-community/Extension_Name

To see what will be installed/upgraded on without actually performing these actions (pretend):

./pear install -p magento-community/Extension_Name

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

My hope in upgrading was to realize a significant performance improvement and to see some fixes with bugs in Google Checkout free shipping, Googlebase export, etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cntbill

Total Posts:  107
PA

wsj3 - 15 April 2009 12:39 PM

I’m trying to determine if it’s worth the investment of time to upgrade to 1.3. Can anyone who has done so give a quick outline of the benefits realized?

Thanks in advance!

Benefits are to the drug companies, for having to take pain killers for the head ache you will get.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

cntbill - 16 April 2009 09:31 AM

wsj3 - 15 April 2009 12:39 PM

Thanks in advance!

Benefits are to the drug companies, for having to take pain killers for the head ache you will get.

Ha ha! Funny. But true! 1.3 is NOT READY!

Magento Community
Magento Community

rainman127

Unirgy - 15 April 2009 04:59 PM

You can install extensions using pear ignoring any dependencies from shell (nodeps):

./pear install -n magento-community/Extension_Name

To see what will be installed/upgraded on without actually performing these actions (pretend):
./pear install -p magento-community/Extension_Name

nice post, thanks.

is there also a pear command so I can download it but not install?
I could probably figure it out but I bet you allready know

thanks
cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community