Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Live cart using Paypal for backend

tzCart

Total Posts:  36
NW Ohio–USA

OK, I’ve seen where it is not recommended to use this cart for production sites.
What about setting up a small site with live items and using Paypal for the backend.
I haven’t installed the demo yet to see if paypal is easy to setup.
The question is would I be setting myself up for any known vulnerabilities?

My items and site would be more of a personal nature, not really for a business.
Is it worth a site for a small personal enterprise just to test also?
thanks
ty

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

i think its safe to say that it would definately be worth waiting for, but i understand your trying to get something going on a personal basis, i say wait untill the next major release, the payment modules arent completed yet

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Assume Magento has security flaws and a lot of bugs.  Everyone (including Magento’s developers) recommend against using Magento for anything public.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

The next minor release is supposed to support PayPal. That’s not a guarantee but more of a goal. At least you can start testing it at that point. Just because your using an external site to collect payment is not to say that personal information can’t be compromised, regardless of whether a credit card is stored in the db or not. So you’re taking risks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

Seems crazy to even consider using this for a live shop right now, even though everyone’s chomping at the bit. I hope people aren’t?

I’ve already seen lots of “I’m creating a shop to sell XXXX” type questions and posts.

Kind of worrying…

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

i really dont understand these posts.

---
OK, I’ve seen where it is not recommended to use this cart for production sites.
What about setting up a small site with live items and using Paypal for the backend.
---

what exactly is the difference?? seems like people are hoping to get approval to use magento if they keep saying ‘oh no biggie, its just a small, personal, non-enterprise site’

regardless of whether your site is just ‘personal’ or ‘small’, if you’re dealing with any actual commerce issues (re: paypal) then NO, it is not recommended to use it live.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

I don’t think I fully understood that no gateways are currently supported to be “Turned on”, as I’ve seen in other Ecommerce applications.
That being said the application is still a little more alpha than it is beta maybe.
I’m anticipating this product to be very easy to use with Paypal or Google checkout, that fact that it isn’t there yet is just a technicality for now then.
Thought I would ask, jeez.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

NW Ohio–USA

OK, not sure if this version is fully-functional in regards to Paypal, if not it’s getting very close it seems…
Check the latest blog post and screencast:
Magento Version 0.6.12840 Available for Download (includes PayPal Support)
The runners are approaching the starter blocks, that’s for sure!

[edit:] from the blog post Roy’s telling me to hold off just a bit…
Thanks Roy.

Building the db catalog, is a next obvious step, I’m afraid I’ld bumble that in the subsequent upgrades and new versions.
Getting that locked in has got to be priority also, I would guess.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community