Magento Forum

Saving Products Very Slow After Upgrade to 1.3.0

Frederik Bové

Total Posts:  58

Anton Makarenko - 23 July 2009 02:01 PM

The saving of product issue is a big task - we need to re-engineer indexing process. It is planned to implement it lighter in next minor version (1.4.x)

is there a timing for this update because slow saving of products and the use of the admin panel is very irritating

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Total Posts:  184
Los Angeles, CA

Frederik Bové - 26 July 2009 11:41 PM

Anton Makarenko - 23 July 2009 02:01 PM
The saving of product issue is a big task - we need to re-engineer indexing process. It is planned to implement it lighter in next minor version (1.4.x)

is there a timing for this update because slow saving of products and the use of the admin panel is very irritating

We hope to have it in 1.4.x-alpha by the end of august. Alpha version will be public.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wouter (@MidoMedia)

Total Posts:  44

Thank you so much AxelH for posting the solution! For any of you wondering (like I did) how this whole patching process works: Just open the patch file AxelH posted in a text editor and manually make the adjustment to the file that is mentioned near the top. AxelH, really can’t thank you enough, with about 600 categories, load took about 10 MINUTES before the adjustment and less than 3 SECONDS after!

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

Total Posts:  17

Hello, All.

I am new to Magento and after some initial issues, still have one big one that appears to be related to this thread. I am now running v.1.3.2.3, and thank heavens that fixed the category loading issue. However, the admin panel is still painfully slow in most other areas. Saving products, refreshing cache, etc.

Is that what’s currently being worked on for v 1.4? Because I cant manage 2,000 products this way!

Thanks!
Larry

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

Yes, in 1.4.x we work on product saving performance improvement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ron Peled

Total Posts:  18
Los Angeles

Anton,

is this issue resolved in the recent Alpha release from last week?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

Nope, the work is in progress.

In release notes you’ll find that except bugfixes, the new functionality in alpha1 is taxes only: http://www.magentocommerce.com/download/release_notes#Release%20Notes%20-%20Magento%201.4.0.0-alpha1%20(August%2011,%202009)

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

Total Posts:  17

I am currently making one change in a product category that has 10,300 items in it. I am simply unchecking the box to have this one item removed from this category. I hit SAVE, and so far it is 15 minutes and the “PLEASE WAIT” wheel is still spinning. Will this ever complete>? Is there any resolution for this at this time?  Thanks! - Larry

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Bové

Total Posts:  58

Anton,

is there any news about when the next release will be with this upgrade?

best Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

Not earlier than beginning of october.

Magento Community
Magento Community

6thStreet

Total Posts:  35
Baltimore, Maryland

JOB POSTING:  Speed up API: Product->save()

Need this fixed earlier than later. I’m ponying up $600 - $1200 (with bonus) for someone to fix this single step/method on 1.3 asap, see my job listing for details.

Note, we’ve tried all the category rules disabled and layered nav disabled with no improvement. Analyzing the issue, the 1.3 release is choking on the size of the objects and related queries when it calls ‘product->save()’; we currently have 40K products in DB and a thousand+ manufacturers…

We get the same slow “save” performance on a single development machine and also on a production config with dual servers (1 web/1 mysql) 4GB ram and tuned for performance. All cache features are off in development mode.

We call the API directly and not thru webservices (ie. product->create()).

Let me know if you’re interested in providing a fix or also pitching in to the ‘reward amount’ to get this fixed asap.

Thanks, David

Magento Community
Magento Community

6thStreet

Baltimore, Maryland

Note, our Job Posting (API Speedup: Product->Save()) is now closed.

We received a modified API solution that fits our needs and gets product->create() down to under a second.  I’ll provide more details when integration and testing is complete.

Thanks to Brian Deyoung for the quick work and great follow-up on the task.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

Anton Makarenko - 04 September 2009 11:15 AM

Not earlier than beginning of october.

Are there lots of changes in 1.4? It seems that 1.4 is taking longer than previous releases.

Magento Community
Magento Community

6thStreet

Baltimore, Maryland

dd_gi - 17 September 2009 08:25 PM

6thStreet - 10 September 2009 07:02 AM
Note, our Job Posting (API Speedup: Product->Save()) is now closed.

We received a modified API solution that fits our needs and gets product->create() down to under a second.  I’ll provide more details when integration and testing is complete.

Thanks to Brian Deyoung for the quick work and great follow-up on the task.

Possibly there’s something you need to do to officially remove the job from the job board:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/job/view/287

Do you know of a way to update or remove Job posting?

I’ve already contact Varien but no reply, the features are quite limited compared to other job site boards; post only. no update, no awarding, no completion… etc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Directshop

Total Posts:  28
Melbourne, Australia

We raised a bug about large catalogs and catalog price rules affecting performance many months ago, not sure if it has been assigned at all.

There are a few ways to speed up performance, the main one being caching. Seems Magento is very hard on disk IO to var/cache, /var/session folders.

We recommend the tempfs suggestions here :
http://yoast.com/magento-performance-hosting/

We run 1.3.2.3 with 10,000+ products.
With tempfs (and other performance tweaks - no changes to core Magento code) we have fast product saves and admin backend.

tempfs for /var/cache made a massive difference to performance for us (we are on Amazon EC2 cloud service)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community