Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Saving Products Very Slow After Upgrade to 1.3.0

AllynWA

Total Posts:  28
Allyn, WA

I just tried what robbo23 suggested regarding the catalog price rules. I had leftover rules from the demo site that was originally installed, and once I deleted those I am now down under 5 seconds for a save from 38 seconds.

So, is the issue that these price rules were based on products that don’t exist anymore and therefore the update queries bog down, or is it that adding any sort of catalog price rule brings the system to its knees?

Time for more testing…
Fred

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

brian.money

Total Posts:  8
St. Augustine, FL

I ran into the same issue. Simply saving a product was taking about 45 seconds.

I’m running 1.3.1 with 5 stores and total of 2500 products. Web server & Database are on separate machines.

I started reviewing the processlist in MySQL during the saving and noticed there was always long running thread:

invalidating query cache entries (key) DELETE FROM `catalogindex_aggregation` WHERE (aggregation_id IN (SELECT `catalogindex_aggregation_to

I remembered I had turned on query caching per a suggestion in the forums. When I turned this off the problem disappeared. Saving a product now takes 2-3 seconds.

I suggest checking your /etc/my.conf for: query_cache_size = XXXXXX. If this is on comment it out, restart MySQL and try updating a product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kanixd

Total Posts:  10

Updated to 1.3.1.1 and still

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24 bytes) in /usr/home/mydomain.com/web/store/app/code/core/Mage/Weee/Model/Mysql4/Tax.php on line 46

Magento Community
Magento Community

sApO_sUicIdA

Total Posts:  12
Alfragide

I’ve had the same problems and decided to leave magento for my production site… This seams stupid but I can’t have the production site jamming for every other reason. One time is the server response getting toooo sllllooowww, that I get page errors, other times is the admin stops working, sometimes is the menus that stop working at all, and now the new one is to get the admin page all blank… This is crazy.. is the new enterprise version this buggy?

Why doesn’t magento team starts trying to stabilise the all system, because we just keep seeing the same issues every new update.. They can’t argue that they don’t have enough support by the community to debug..

I’m just getting very frustrated with this, because this is a great platform and a new big breath in the ecommercs cms world.. but i think is still to buggy and to messy for a big production store, witch is one of the big targets of the magento team.

Just hope this change in future.

Until then, I will use other obsolete but stable ecommerce cms and just keep on testing and waiting for a real stable version to implement it on my production site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frank Fuchs

Total Posts:  1

I’m having the exact same problem with 1.3.2.  Exists a solution now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

starchild

Total Posts:  37

sApO_sUicIdA - 21 May 2009 09:15 AM

I’ve had the same problems and decided to leave magento for my production site… This seams stupid but I can’t have the production site jamming for every other reason. One time is the server response getting toooo sllllooowww, that I get page errors, other times is the admin stops working, sometimes is the menus that stop working at all, and now the new one is to get the admin page all blank… This is crazy.. is the new enterprise version this buggy?

Why doesn’t magento team starts trying to stabilise the all system, because we just keep seeing the same issues every new update.. They can’t argue that they don’t have enough support by the community to debug..

I’m just getting very frustrated with this, because this is a great platform and a new big breath in the ecommercs cms world.. but i think is still to buggy and to messy for a big production store, witch is one of the big targets of the magento team.

Just hope this change in future.

Until then, I will use other obsolete but stable ecommerce cms and just keep on testing and waiting for a real stable version to implement it on my production site.

I agree, my patience is running thin.  Clients are getting annoyed, it’s bad for business.

I don’t want more features, I just want a system that works.  You can have all the bling in the world, but at the end of the day, if it is not usable, then the whole exercise is pointless.

Don’t get me wrong, i LOVE magento as a concept and have great respect for the whole OS thing, but....... i can only bang my head against a brick wall for so long.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Magento team, focus on performance above anything else.  There is plenty of functionality for the time being.

Thanks to all for your comments and time testing this and other issues.

S

Magento Community
Magento Community

starchild

Just checked the bug tracker, and despite this being added as an official bug on 23 April, it remains classified as a new bug, is not even assigned yet.

What can be more important than a totally unusable admin area?

Magento Community
Magento Community

DaymoH

Total Posts:  106

coldlamper - 23 April 2009 06:28 PM

Not sure why but I disabled all the caching then did a refresh and adding a product went from 6-8sec to less then 1 sec.  Worked on 2 different servers.

Worked for me.

Cheers dude.

Magento Community
Magento Community

starchild

On one site we did a step back to 1.2.1.2 and admin has retrned a much more useable speed

We will be reverting all sites back to this for now. Highly recommended.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian Fischer

Total Posts:  4

Bad news is: Topic may be named ”Everything in Admin Panel Very Slow After Upgrade to 1.3.x” (on fresh install)

First things first - i found out about Magento some time before, and now testing it to support my new IT Enviroment.
I AM very disappointed by the staff, though nobody is helping or communicating where the error relies.

Good news is:
I did speed up things a little, by changing following code in my Virtual server

/etc/mysql/my.cnf on a Debian System

query_cache_limit       
16M
query_cache_size        
128M

So - the more of the huge Queries will be stored inside RAM and so be faster executed if used several times.
Still needs more testing, but now page-switching is about 3 secs - no more 20secs

Another Bad news: I dont know how to get deep into the sql-server on hosted systems. Sorry guys.

Too much bad news. Why should i use a System being so inefficient??!!
Again: This is my first web application that has such an overhead with only a few products inside! The first i have to extraconfigure my MySQL server for!

Who can ensure, i do not need a QuadCore i7 with 8 Gigs of Ram only to run my 200 (expensive) Items Shop in Version 1.4.x????

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christian Fischer

Total Posts:  4

[UPDATE]

It seems, there are some functions being blocked or delayed by PHPs SAFE-MODE!
With the safe mode turning of i got a perfectly smooth and fast working System!
But...safe mode should keep some things safe, shouldnt it??

Okay - the trick - depending on your Provider as follows:

place a php,ini in the magento root dir and add line

safe_mode Off

OR

place the following line in your .htaccess

php_admin_flag safe_mode off

OR

use google

Attention: Sometimes the above tricks wont work - you will stay unsatisfied ^^

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Our product saving got quicker after deleting old catalog price rules and even faster after refreshing the cache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Bové

Total Posts:  58

notting helps me I tried everything anyone a other idea

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Bové

Total Posts:  58

please give in this issue all you problems with slow product saving so magento can’t ignore the problems
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=6583

Magento Community
Magento Community

LUKA netconsult

Total Posts:  40
Frankfurt am Main (DE)

Well it took me some minutes to find out that the resource collection will load all product counts whenever load() is triggered ($this->isLoaded() check is missing). I guess this affects also assigning products (which will increment the item count and needs to select the assigned product stuff).

Well for all of you suffering under the same issue a patch is appended:

Use the following command on *nix machines in your magento directory to apply the patch:

cat magento_categoryfix.patch | patch -p1

EDIT:
This patch is for Magento version 1.3.2.2
If your version is a different one or you’d like to fix the problem in an upgrade save wy blueben provided a method to do so in the following post:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/44096/P15/#t156823

File Attachments
magento_categoryfix.patch.zip  (File Size: 1KB - Downloads: 698)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community