Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 7
Saving Products Very Slow After Upgrade to 1.3.0

robbo23

Total Posts:  81

I built a site on a test domain using 1.2.1. When it was finished I transferred the database to the live site and did a fresh installation of 1.3.0.

After a few teething problems involving missing images, all items showing as out of stock, being locked out of the admin etc (you know, the usual kind of upgrade stuff!) I was left with one riddle to solve:

After editing a product it takes between 60 seconds and 90 seconds to save the changes to the database.

It was getting slow(ish) on the test site taking on average about 30 seconds to save, but now it is glacially slow.

To try and work out what was causing this I ran some extensive tests on different domains - on most occasions I used a copy of the same database and tried to replicate exactly what I had done on the live site. The original development site did not have SSL whereas the live site does. Results are as follows with approx. times given in seconds:

Copy of same db, same domain using 1.2.1 with our without SSL turned on: 60 - 90s
Copy of same db, same domain using 1.2.1.2 with our without SSL turned on: 60 - 90s
Copy of same db, same domain using 1.3.0 with our without SSL turned on: 60 - 90s

Clean db, same domain using 1.3.0 with our without SSL turned on: 1 - 3s

Copy of same db, different domain with SSL installed using 1.3.0 with our without SSL turned on: 60 - 90s
Clean db, different domain with SSL installed using 1.3.0 with our without SSL turned on: 1 - 3s

Copy of same db, different domain using 1.3.0 no SSL installed: 30 - 45s

It seems like some combination of the database and the SSL that is the common factor for all the tests that were slow, however I have another site on the same shared hosting using 1.2.1.2 and SSL installed and that is about 30 seconds.

I know 30 seconds itself is slow but I think that’s probably about as good as you can expect from a site that has lots of products on shared hosting.

The frontend speed has been pretty good throughout.

I have tried enabling / disabling as many things as I can think of, including the flat catalog product / category, but nothing seems to help speed things up. I also tried repairing and optimizing the database but that made no difference.

The main thing that is puzzling me is why it is 30 - 45 seconds quicker when I set up a site using the same database on a domain that does not have SSL and therefore no private IP address.

Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, the initial teething problems were caused by:

Missing images: it looks like some of the sub folders within the media folder did not upload properly (e.g if there was an ‘A’ folder and an ‘a’ folder they got counted as one folder.)

Items showing as out of stock: this happened after installing the Protx payment extension. It was resolved by replacing app/code/core/Mage/CatalogInventory/Model/Stock/Item.php with the original version from 1.2.1 - as yet I don’t know why it won’t work with the 1.3.0 version of the file. I have tried the 1.3.0 version to see if this is affecting the speed but it makes no difference.

Being locked out of admin: it seems like a long time ago now but I seem to remember this was solved by resetting the file permissions on the report folder - once I could see the report it was obvious what needed fixing - and also clearing the cache files via ftp from var/cache. I also had to reset the file permissions on the js folder after installing the Protx extension.

Any suggestions to improve the admin speed would be much appreciated (btw all other admin functions work very quickly and only take a second or two to save. The issue only seems to be related to saving products).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

Total Posts:  12

Same problem here!
We upgraded an existing 1.2.1 database to 1.3 and now the whole product backend is incredibly slow.
Saving products takes sometimes up to 60 seconds as described by you.

The existing database was not really in production before, the catalog was almost empty as we just started to implement Magento.
After one week we upgraded to 1.3 and ended up with this super-slow backend.

Magento Community
Magento Community

robbo23

@sieppl, do you have SSL installed on this domain? Also are you on shared hosting?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

robbo23 - 14 April 2009 05:01 AM

@sieppl, do you have SSL installed on this domain? Also are you on shared hosting?

Hi! SSL is currently not installed. The shop is on a shared host, BUT that shared host is a private machine with more than enough power. APC is installed!

Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

Another idea: Did you use “Rebuild flat catalog” after updating to 1.3?
I did so, but I figured our that I am not using the flat catalog anyway. (System -> Configuration -> Frontend)

Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

It seems dropping the database fixes the issue for me.

1. Creating a backup via the magento backend.
2. Save that file to your local file, just in case of. (etc/backup)
3. Drop the whole database.
4. Go to to login, magento is recreating the database
5. restore the database via phpmyadmin or sth else (you HAVE TO uncomment the stuff in the beginning to
SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 ;
SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 ;
and at the end to
SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS ;
SET UNIQUE_CHECKS=@OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS ;

6. I don’t know why, but saving products seems to be up to old speed now. WARNING: Tested just 10 Minutes!

Feedback from longer test is coming up!

Magento Community
Magento Community

robbo23

I’d like to try this out on a test installation. Could you explain a bit more what you meant by steps 4 and 5 please and how you did those? I don’t have a huge amount of experience working with databases.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GianlucaZ

Total Posts:  19

im having the same issues running magento 1.2.1.1.

i tried sieppl’s solution, but unfortunately it didnt work for me. i still get same response times from the server.
the only thing i had to do additionally is to alter the rows for the admin store in the tables core_store and core_website (set store_id to 0 for admin row).

the thing about this is that the saving itself (at least the ajax call) is done in 4-5 sec. it seems that the reload, or whatever happens after the saving is what takes so long.

hopefully someone comes up with an explanation for the error. thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

robbo23

I tried sieppl’s suggestion as well and it didn’t work for me either.

If I make any other changes to the admin it saves almost instantly - the slowness only seems to happen when editing products for some reason.

Magento Community
Magento Community

coldlamper

Total Posts:  35
NC, USA

Does anyone no the deal with this.  Have a site with 12000 products and everything is fine then one day it takes 10-15 sec to save a product , or delete or do anything on the backend.  And it’s not the first time i have had this experience.  And not on the same server either.  Magento is awesome except the admin backend end eventually seems to bug out and become super slow. 

Why would backup database,drop database,load database fix anything?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

coldlamper - 15 April 2009 04:19 AM

Does anyone no the deal with this.  Have a site with 12000 products and everything is fine then one day it takes 10-15 sec to save a product , or delete or do anything on the backend.  And it’s not the first time i have had this experience.  And not on the same server either.  Magento is awesome except the admin backend end eventually seems to bug out and become super slow. 

Why would backup database,drop database,load database fix anything?

I know my solution seems to be pretty weird. Developer for 10 years myself I have no clue why that solution worked for me. :(
I came to this idea after reading this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/reinstalling_magento_database
My idea was that magento is keeping some old modules because it has to handle an old 1.2.x database structure. I am absolutely not sure!

Before dropping the database I reinstalled all 1.3 modules in magento connect, but that action alone didn’t help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

robbo23 - 15 April 2009 01:42 AM

I tried sieppl’s suggestion as well and it didn’t work for me either.

If I make any other changes to the admin it saves almost instantly - the slowness only seems to happen when editing products for some reason.

Do you have the same issues working on a fresh DB? You can just create a new DB and switch to it by changing the setting in your etc/local.xml. Delete all your files (and folders) in the cache folder before you test it.
If that doesn’t help reinstall all 1.3 modules and then test with the blank database again.

Would be interesting to know if that helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

robbo23

Hi,

Most of my test results are in my original post, e.g:

“Clean db, same domain using 1.3.0 with our without SSL turned on: 1 - 3s”

It’s fine with a fresh database, any version of Magento, any domain, with or without SSL.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sieppl

After updating to 1.3.1 we have the same slow behaviour. :(
Not as slow as before, but clearly noticable!
Saving attribute sets takes ages now (5 Minutes delay after the ajax pop-up disappears)
Saving products takes at least up to 15 seconds (max. 3 seconds before)

Magento Community
Magento Community

GianlucaZ

Total Posts:  19

hi sieppl, im still having the same issues. i was running 1.2.1, did an upgrade to 1.3.1 - same results, slow as ever.

did manage to find this http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/31032/

i traced the mysql processes with “show processlist” on the console ... magento generates a insert statement for every product to write into the table weee_discount, in my case over 1200 statements. now i just have to figure out why on one server this is no problem speed-wise but on the other it takes so damn long (im running 2 similar servers, one for tests and programming, the other in production)!?

see this for my original post ... http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/38204/

i really think we need some help from the magento team here!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hofacker

Total Posts:  13

I’m having the exact same problem.

On one machine (running 1.3.1) it’s no problem. Takes about 8 - 10 seconds (very old testing machine - running on WAMP-server, only the test DB).

On my laptop (which is like one year old) it’s gone to an incredible slowdown. 60 seconds is nothing! Duplicating items is a disaster… (running 1.3.1 on WAMP-server as well)

I will try some other things to try to find out, why it is, like it is. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 7