Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How do I display product & catelog info in multilanguage

CharlieXun

Total Posts:  30

Hi all,

I am Magento novice and encountered the problem of the support of multiple language.
Suppose that storeview can be used for this function, saying I have 2 storeviews(English and Spanish)
In the database I also import relevant data for catelog and product description with 3 languages through Magento API.
My web site structure is as follows:

Main Website - myStore - English
Main Website - myStore - Spanish

These are steps I’ve done:
Step 1) create 1 web site, 1 store and 2 storeview
Step 2) create 2 root categories via Magento API, specifying the storeview of English and Spanish respectively
Step 3) Assign root category to the Store

It seems that I can only assign different root categories up to store level rather than storeview level as the option of selecting root category is only provided in the store configuration.

Did I miss something?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

This is mostly fine.  You don’t need to have separate catalogs for the English and Spanish stores.  If the catalogs are the same, except for the translation, then just make one catalog that both store views share. Then when you’re editing categories or products in the Admin Panel, you’ll see a drop down in the upper left where you select which store you’re editing (default, english or spanish).  Ditto when you import products.  One of the fields is the storeview ID and you would set that to the correct language before you import.

If the catalogs are actually different--different categories and very different product mix, then maybe you do want 2 catalogs, but as you pointed out, you’ll have to create a store to associate with each, rather than a store view.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

Kara is right, you only need one website, one store with one category root, and different store views. When you create your subcategories you can create different ones for each store view. The other issue is your products. You’ll need to create a separate product for each language. However, this is made a little easier with the Duplicate feature/button available after you save the original product and and get to the Edit Product page. You can then put the right product with the right language in the right category for the right store view. All right?
cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

aa, mi, us

@jjballoti: question on the separate products? I don’t create separate products--I just make one master/default product with the root SKU--SBM-500, for example.  Then I select the right storeview scope and save the translation in only that scope/storeview.  Essentially, we maintain only one master product with multiple translations.  Is this what you’re describing as well? Just another way to do it?  If the SKU is the same internationally is there an advantage to creating separate products for each translation?

Magento Community
Magento Community

CharlieXun

Total Posts:  30

Thanks for your reply. Allow me to repeat it to see if I understand your reply correctly.

Root
- Men_Eng
- Men_Esp
- Women_Eng
- Women _Esp
- Children_Eng
- Children_Esp

When I select English storeview, I disable ‘xxx_Esp’ and vise versa when I select Spanish storeview.
Seems that I can’t create the structure like this as in the menu bar it would create one more hierarchy. i.e. Eng or Esp

Root
- Eng
- Men
- Women
- Children
- Esp
- Men
- Women
- Children

Any idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

aa, mi, us

It’s actually easier than all that.  You’ve already created your 2 storeviews--English and Spanish.

In ADMIN> Catalog> Manage Categories, create a directory structure that looks like this:
Root
- Men
- Women
- Children

You now already have an English and Spanish catalog structure just by doing that.  Here’s how it works. 

First, translate your categories.  Go to ADMIN> Catalog> Manage Categories.  The catalog structure and text above is your “default,” it’s what all your stores will inherit unless you provide an alternate translation for that store.  To provide the Spanish translation, select your Spanish storeview from the “Choose Store View:” drop down in the upper-left of the page.  Now click on a category name.  Verify that the scope is still set to your Spanish store view.  Enter your translated content for the name, description, and whatever else you want to be language specific.  Save it and repeat the process for each category.  Now, when you switch between storeviews/languages on the frontend you’ll be able to see the translations for the category names change.

Now create a product.  I know you probably want to use the import for most of your products, but do at least one product by hand so that you can see how it works.  Go to ADMIN> Catalog> Manage Products.  It’s essentially the same process as for the categories.  Click the “Add a Product” button if you don’t already have one made.  The “Choose Store View” drop down is again on the top left of the page.  When it’s set to “default values” that’s your default content that all your stores will use when displaying that product unless you provide alternate translations.  So make a product, fill in the default values, be sure to assign it to the website and categories, and save it.  Now for the same product, assuming English was your default language, choose the Spanish storeview from the “Choose Store View” drop down.  Enter your translated content here.  Save it.  Now when you go to your store frontend and switch between languages, you’ll be able to see the translated content change for that product.

Sounds like Jim has another way to do it where you would make separate products, but this is how we do it here, with one catalog and one master set of products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

Right on Kara!
cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Syafi

Total Posts:  3

Kara - THANK YOU...............

Magento Community
Magento Community

P3PODY3R

Total Posts:  51

Nice article.
I have Magento 1.4.1.1 and my issue is with the Multilanguage drop down works ok in Master but does not work on satellite website treatmentbraziliankeratin.com

I have 1 master site (diybraziliankeratin.com) and several satellite websites (i.e. treatmentbraziliankeratin.com) which pool products from master, the Multilanguage drop down works ok in Master but does pools only the default language in my satellite websites.

Furthermore, all my Domains have 5 views, one for each language, my Satellite Domains should inherit the product description for each Language directly from my Master Domain. However all the views have -ONLY- the default english description version. This is the reason why I only see the English product description (although the field are properly translated) for all my satellite page.

That been said, I could go one by one and modify the product description based on its language view. However, I have 5 domains, 25 identical products per domain, and 5 views (languages) per domain, therefore I don’t think the solution here is to change the description one by one trought the 500 items

Any ideas are welcome and appretiated!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kwoolf

Total Posts:  18

Hey Kara,

I read your post and hope you can explain further how to configure Magento to have the language code at the end of the URL for each language. I’ve probably read 30 articles on how to do this and not a single method works, probably because the instructions were for versions prior to 1.4.1.1.

I’ve set up one website named “Main Website” code “base” with one store named “Main Store” with “Root Category” selected to the only root category I’ve created, and I have two store views named “English” and “Chinese” with codes “en” and “tw” respectively.

I’ve changed my Base URL and Secure Base URL for the English site to {{unsecure_base_url}}en/ and set the “Add Store Code to Urls” to “No”. Since Chinese will be the main site, I want the URLs for the English site to appear as http://www.88kbbq.com/en/… and the Chinese site should be simply http://www.88kbbq.com/.

I’ve copied the index.php and htaccess to a folder named “en” and edited the the following lines:

$compilerConfig '../includes/config.php';
$mageFilename '../app/Mage.php';
/* Store or website code */
$mageRunCode = isset($_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_CODE']) ? $_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_CODE''';

/* Run store or run website */
$mageRunType = isset($_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_TYPE']) ? $_SERVER['MAGE_RUN_TYPE''store';

Mage::run('en''store');

Well, it’s not working and I need to find some resources to help with this issue. Magento Wiki could sure use an update for this! The reason I want to do this the “long” way so that I’ll have solid SEO URLs and to keep the base URL without the /tw/ to avoid writing tons of redirects. Hope you can help!

Kevin

Magento Community
Magento Community

lemmis

Total Posts:  1

I setup 2 store views, and everything works great, except for the translations of product information.

1. I edit a product
2. I choose the store view I want to edit in the upper left drop-down
3. I edit the Name of the product to fit the right language
4. I press “Save”
5. The name did not change. It reverted back to the old title even though it gave me a message “The product has been saved”.

What do I do wrong?

I can edit product descriptions for different store view’s in different langugages, but the Product Name does not change. The checkbox “Use Default Value” is always checked even though I uncheck it. I’m using Magento 1.4.2.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

serg1982

Total Posts:  6

I have the same problem with 1.4.2.0. Site has 2 store views - english and spanish. And it is impossible to update product title for spanish!
Anybody can help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

serg1982

Can there be some solution? It works well in 1.4.1.1 but doesn’t work in 1.4.2.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sozanski

Total Posts:  24

had the same issue but it disapeared after updating

Magento Community
Magento Community

vizard

thank you kara ,

kara - 14 April 2009 04:32 AM

It’s actually easier than all that.  You’ve already created your 2 storeviews--English and Spanish.

In ADMIN> Catalog> Manage Categories, create a directory structure that looks like this:
Root
- Men
- Women
- Children

You now already have an English and Spanish catalog structure just by doing that.  Here’s how it works. 

First, translate your categories.  Go to ADMIN> Catalog> Manage Categories.  The catalog structure and text above is your “default,” it’s what all your stores will inherit unless you provide an alternate translation for that store.  To provide the Spanish translation, select your Spanish storeview from the “Choose Store View:” drop down in the upper-left of the page.  Now click on a category name.  Verify that the scope is still set to your Spanish store view.  Enter your translated content for the name, description, and whatever else you want to be language specific.  Save it and repeat the process for each category.  Now, when you switch between storeviews/languages on the frontend you’ll be able to see the translations for the category names change.

Now create a product.  I know you probably want to use the import for most of your products, but do at least one product by hand so that you can see how it works.  Go to ADMIN> Catalog> Manage Products.  It’s essentially the same process as for the categories.  Click the “Add a Product” button if you don’t already have one made.  The “Choose Store View” drop down is again on the top left of the page.  When it’s set to “default values” that’s your default content that all your stores will use when displaying that product unless you provide alternate translations.  So make a product, fill in the default values, be sure to assign it to the website and categories, and save it.  Now for the same product, assuming English was your default language, choose the Spanish storeview from the “Choose Store View” drop down.  Enter your translated content here.  Save it.  Now when you go to your store frontend and switch between languages, you’ll be able to see the translated content change for that product.

Sounds like Jim has another way to do it where you would make separate products, but this is how we do it here, with one catalog and one master set of products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

trang79

Total Posts:  19

Thanks Kaka.
But I want to display the product in a store view, the others store view don’t display. So how do I do?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2