Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Best solution for the MODEL / YEAR dilemma? 

travisb

Total Posts:  30

I’ve read everything I can find on the forums, but think I’m still missing the best way to approach model / year for products.

For one major category (brake pads) I have many products, and each product may cover multiple models and years. It seems like the choice is either:

A) a million subcategories, like:

CATEGORIES: (brake pad) manufacturer > brake pad > (vehicle) manufacturer > model > year

- which works, but then I have around 300+ model subcategories and about 40+ years for EACH! , which seems unwieldy to say the least.

or

B) an attribute set up similar to:

CATEGORIES: (brake pad) manufacturer > brake pad > (vehicle) manufacturer >
ATTRIBUTES: model, year

- which seems to be much easier to manage, but the problem is in searches. If someone searches for “brake pad ford 2008” for example, they won’t be able to tell which of the results is correct. Which leads to having to list out all the possible models/years in the description of each product - not a very manageable solution either!

I know some of you have similar catalog / navigation issues for dealing with models and years, and would really appreciate any insight.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

travisb

Total Posts:  30

anyone?

Magento Community
Magento Community

hmpierson

Total Posts:  101

It’s not my place to tell you your business, but as a consumer, I would prefer to see your site organized

car manufacturer -> model -> year -> brake pad
car manufacturer -> model -> year -> tire

etc.

I think this would result in a far more manageable structure in terms of items at each level. As a consumer, I’m not as “brand” driven as you are - I want to know what my choices are for my car, I don’t chose my car based on who I want to manufacture my brake pads.

I assume you have tables that contain the car manufacturer/model/year each brake pad is compatible with. So you would want to assign each brake pad to the multiple compatible vehicles (categories). This is actually not that difficult if you use the SOAP API.

Just my opinion, take it FWIW

travisb - 10 April 2009 08:15 AM

I’ve read everything I can find on the forums, but think I’m still missing the best way to approach model / year for products.

For one major category (brake pads) I have many products, and each product may cover multiple models and years. It seems like the choice is either:

A) a million subcategories, like:

CATEGORIES: (brake pad) manufacturer > brake pad > (vehicle) manufacturer > model > year

- which works, but then I have around 300+ model subcategories and about 40+ years for EACH! , which seems unwieldy to say the least.

or

B) an attribute set up similar to:

CATEGORIES: (brake pad) manufacturer > brake pad > (vehicle) manufacturer >
ATTRIBUTES: model, year

- which seems to be much easier to manage, but the problem is in searches. If someone searches for “brake pad ford 2008” for example, they won’t be able to tell which of the results is correct. Which leads to having to list out all the possible models/years in the description of each product - not a very manageable solution either!

I know some of you have similar catalog / navigation issues for dealing with models and years, and would really appreciate any insight.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community