Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can I successfully import incomplete product data? 

cshontz

Total Posts:  91

I’m just trying to perform a simple test - to import SKU’s from an Excel spreadsheet (formed by PMA), and nothing else. It hasn’t worked yet. Is it possible to successfully import some product data, omitting fields that would otherwise be required?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

I can say one thing - trying to use Excel 2000 to save an XML file doesn’t help. However, now that I’ve installed Excel 2003 and tried to import a proper 10 megabyte XML file, it spends a minute or so thinking and then produces a “memory allocation error”. I’m getting closer!

Not the most active community here yet - but I suppose everyone is just as clueless as me. I’m sure things will pick up after a production version is released. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

Alright, memory limit increased - now maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

Alright… time limit increased. Now I’ve reached the memory limit again. I’m importing locally from an Excel XML that I FTP’d to the Magento root. The XML file is 10 megabytes, and I have approximately 6100 SKU’s. At this point, all I’m trying to do is import item numbers.

Do you have any suggestions, or should I just keep increasing the time and memory caps?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cshontz

...and voila. I upped the execution time in .htaccess up to 1800 (which was ample). 600 would have probably sufficed. I also increased the maximum memory from 64M, to 128M, and then finally to a whopping 640M, and that did the trick. Also, the successful import answered my original question.

.htaccess looks like:

<IfModule mod_php5.c>

############################################
## adjust memory limit

php_value memory_limit 640M
php_value max_execution_time 1800

Magento Community
Magento Community

Serial Killa

Total Posts:  76
Malaysia