Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento 1.3.0 cache issues

kaamiljj

Total Posts:  125
Kapaa

Can somebody explain me why is magento having so many issues with the cache?

For example I’ve had tons of different bugs, problems etc. and the fix was in many cases “Clear the cache”.

Can this be fixed in the future releases?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

To be clear, if you solved an issue “by clearing the cache”, then is it fair to say it is a bug?

Cache is designed to reduce the need to make requests to your database as well as pre-construct templated files to improve the performance of rendering.

If you make changes to your environment, it is necessary to refresh that cache for those changes to take effect. For minor changes you may just see stale content, for major changes you may see missing or erroring pages. If you are in a state of frequent updates to your site (such as in development mode, performing upgrades, testing extensions, etc) then it is recommended you disable cache until your site is “stable”.

While checks can be implemented to see if new data is available and automate the refreshing of the cache, that certainly reduces the value that cache provides you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kaamiljj

Kapaa

Thank you for one of the best explanations. I’m using an wxample with the price attribute:
if I set it as comparable in the front end and used in layered search results my sort by price and price search work. The moment I clear the cache (manually or scheduled daily cleaning) it doesn’t. To make it work I have to re-edit that attribute and refresh the cache. Now why would I need to repeat this process god knows.

This happens for specific attribute only. In such case if my website is functioning and stable can I safely disable the cache to prevent that from happening?

Thanks again,

Magento Community
Magento Community

skippybosco

Total Posts:  796

if I set it as comparable in the front end and used in layered search results my sort by price and price search work. The moment I clear the cache (manually or scheduled daily cleaning) it doesn’t. To make it work I have to re-edit that attribute and refresh the cache. Now why would I need to repeat this process god knows.

When you say it doesn’t work, do you mean that it does not display in layered navigation or that it displays and the link does not work or what is the scenario?

There are a few options in Cache Management that do a few different things.

Are you using Layered Navigation cache, for example, if you disable that do you still have the problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

kaamiljj

Kapaa

Yes, I’m using layered navigation. By “it doesn’t work” I meant that on category/sub-category pages clicking on sort by price would show the results as per “best value” instead.

When I disabled layered navigation cache problem seems not to occur anymore...for a while, and then it comes back.
To fix it I have to refresh layered navigation incides. Then the problem goes away for a while and comes back and I have to do it over again.

How can I fix it once for all??

Magento Community
Magento Community

kaamiljj

Kapaa

more ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

helpinghandhost

Total Posts:  171

In many cases the problem is with file/folder ownership or file/folder permissions resulting in problems accessing the /var/cache

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community