Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Forum Rules

Mark Howson

Total Posts:  28
UK (Weather: Cold and Rainy)

Following a discussing with the amazing Roy Rubin, I’ve took the task of creating some rules for our little community here, ready for when it becomes a bigger community, and starts arguing with the neighborhood kids and dating and getting into fights. As a group of responsible adults, we need to protect our young forum, and stop it from making terrible mistakes. Like drugs. We don’t want the forum doing drugs. It’d have to talk to Frank. And then we’d have to endure those terrible ads with the people with disfigured noses…

Seriously though, we’ve all been part of a forum or community with some ‘bad sorts’. Once, one of my volunteers was called all sorts of terrible things on a forum for ‘telling people about our website’. That was solved by complaining to the company who owned the forum and threatening to sue for misrepresentation. But we don’t want to go to those measures here. What we want for our little forum is to create a happy environment where everyone feels valued. Even if we think their opinions are stupid.

We also don’t want to let the nasty profiteers start to sidestep their way in with affiliate links and the like. When Magento APIs are released, if you wish to release commercial themes and stuff, that’s the beauty of open source licenses, and it makes life a whole lot more fun if you share them with us. I personally don’t see a problem with that, because it’s useful. But your affiliate link for HostCompany is not useful. In fact, it makes us think that maybe you’re just trying to tell us HostCompany is good because you can get $100 or so. And even though you probably make a good point, it lowers the value of the community as a whole.

So, first, I’d like to hear your opinions on what I’ve said, then I’d love to hear what kinds of rules you’d like to see implemented. How are we going to deal with people who don’t follow the rules? What do we do with repeat offenders? I’ll take all your suggestions into account, and speak to Roy and his team about which ones work before coming up with the forum rules.

Then, we’ll be able to nurture our little community to a big community, without the road bumps, drugs, and statutory rape (yes, that is a Desperate Housewives reference - well done to the one other fan that’s also a tech geek - I know you’re out there somewhere).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

Forum Rules
These rules were modified from another forum, they apply here and will be enforced

1. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
2. Posts with foul language will not be accepted as well as posts intentionally designed to bypass the foul word filter
3. Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
4. Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
5. Do not double post, edit your origional, the forums should prevent this but try not to anyway.
6. We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature. This is something that you should be able to comprehend, if you think it might not be okay DO NOT POST IT.
7. Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
8. Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed. If you are using a secondary account for RP purposes please PM McKooter so that he is aware not to ban you.
9. We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
10. All posts on this forum will be in english, if you are unable to grant this request please get your own private forum elsewhere
11. Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
12. You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
13. We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forums is a privilege and not a right.
14. DO NOT Argue with/challenge admins on the forums, if you have a problem with something that was done please take it up with one of the Head Admins
15. DO NOT advertise or try to recruit for any other game/server on these forums or in the game, that includes PMs and private forums, this is a bannable offence!
16. Forum signatures:
a)1 image only, and it will not be more than 500x200px (that is 500px wide, and 200px tall) and 500kb in size
b)you may only have one image in your signature
c)must be appropriate

these are the rules form one of my other forums, i think i took them form yet another forum, they work well though, some may not apply or need to be changed, but the idea behind them really covers it all

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

How about this then?

------------------------------------

Magento Community Rules - 1st Draft - Sunday 9th September 2007

Welcome to the Magento Community! To make this community a great place for us all to work with, and discuss, the Magento Commerce system, a number of rules are in place. By using the Magento Community, you agree to these rules, and assume all responsibility for breaking one or more of them. You may be banned from participating in the community if you are making it less enjoyable for other users.

Part A - Wiki

The Magento Wiki is designed to help users get more from Magento, and anyone can add there knowledge to make it a more useful resource. It is not a replacement for the Magento Knowledge Base, which contains only information verified by the staff at Varien Inc.

Your right to edit the Wiki may be suspended or removed if:

1. You knowingly deface an article written by another community member.
2. You knowingly post false or incorrect data on the Wiki with malicious intent.
3. You intentionally vandalize any area of the Wiki, even an area originally written by you.
4. You create multiple accounts in an attempt to monopolize the community driven aspect of the Wiki.

In the event of a lot of vandalism being undertaken on the Wiki, Varien Inc. may:

1. Place relevant pages into an uneditable ‘lockdown’ mode
2. Place the wiki as a whole into an uneditable ‘lockdown’ mode
3. Temporarily suspend all access to the Wiki while any errors are being fixed.

Your first Wiki-related offense will result in a warning. Further offenses may result in the suspension or deletion of your user account. While this list is exhaustive, it is not complete, and Varien Inc., alongside the administration team, reserve the right to ban or block a wiki account at any time for any reason.

Part B - Forum

The Magento Forum is designed to aid the public discussion of the Magento platform, and also of web design, web development and eCommerce in general. Users may provide help or support while on the forum. This is not a replacement to official help or support from Varien Inc. Varien Inc. representatives can be easily identified from the pink ‘M’ logo next to their name in the left hand column.

Your right to make posts or contribute to the forum may be suspended or removed if:

1. You are rude, insulting or derogatory in a forum post, or insult or personally attack another member of the forum via posts or private messaging.
2. You create posts with fowl language, or attempt to bypass the bad word filter by purposely misspelling words.
3. You make posts primarily to increase your post count.
4. You double-post a forum message.
5. You are found to have a second community account.
6. You post foreign language posts in the incorrect section of the forum.
7. You post affiliate or referral links (1st offense)

You will be banned from the forum if:

1. You make racist comments about other members of the community.
2. You discuss anything illegal with other members of the community, or attempt to start a topic condoning law breaking.
3. You harass another member of the forum through private message.
4. You spam or troll the forum.
5. You post affiliate or referral links (2nd offense)

While this list is exhaustive, it is not complete, and Varien Inc., alongside the administration team, reserve the right to ban or block a forum account at any time for any reason.

Part C - Complaints Procedure

If you have a complaint about another community member, please address this complaint to a member of the administration team via PM. The administration team will not accept complaints regarding community members outside of this method, unless the matter is urgent. Some examples of urgent matters would include:

- Discussing illegal activities
- Harassment

Such urgent matters should be discussed with a member of the administration team via instant message or email where possible.

If you have a complaint about an administrator, please address this complaint to a super administrator via PM. The super administrators will not accept complaints regarding administrators outside of this method, unless the matter is urgent. Some examples of urgent matters would include:

- Discussing illegal activities
- Harassment

Such urgent matters should be discussed with a member of the administration team via instant message or email where possible.

Part D - Closing Remarks

These rules can change at any time without warning, so please continue to check them on a regular basis. By using your community account, you agree to the rules.

------------------------------------

Opinions are received with open arms.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

>> 2. You create posts with fowl language, or attempt to bypass the bad word filter by purposely misspelling words.

Does this mean I’ll get banned for calling you a ch1ck3n?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

banning for a 2nd offense of posting affiliate links is kind of harsh.  3 strike policy?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark Howson

I seriously doubt ‘chicken’ is part of the bad word filter wink - seriously though, thanks for noticing the typo. This was written at 6 in the morning smile - will correct in Draft 2.

As for three strikes, what do other people think? 3 strikes for affiliate links, or 2? My opinion is that once you’ve been warned once, you shouldn’t offend again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

N0 733t 5p34k, except in the 733t forum. rasberry

Regarding affiliate links, I’d vouch for 3 strikes… I’d rather make three attempts to make money if I’m going to be kicked out.  cheese

Magento Community
Magento Community

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

To be honest, it should be up to the ‘management’ to make the rules, it’s their forum after all.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We will make the final decision. We are looking for input before drafting the final outline. I’ll move the thread to the General Forum and post an announcement once the final rules are in place.

If you have any further ideas, don’t hesitate to comment.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community