Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Easier way to add/duplicate configurable and simple products

darkorns

Total Posts:  1

After almost a year of evaluation in my free time, I’m ready to abandon magento for my store just because I can’t add all my products easily as I can with other systems. I’m selling t-shirts and can you imagine I need to add hundreds of different designs (each one as a configurable product) with each size/color combination as a simple product. My ebay store has over 3600 listings and I was thinking magento store would have even more. I’ve tried export import, but there is too much to edit in a table considering meta title, meta description, then SEO-friendly urls etc. And after an import I have to enter each configur. product to associate it with simple product and to upload pictures.
Pardon me for comparing but I just want to help developers: I tried Zen cart and it’s much easier but Zen is kinda textual and boring and all vintage to me. Volusion is the best - that’s is the only reason, I’m sticking with Magento because it reminds me on Volusion, off course, Volusion is too expensive - each simple product counts toward allowed inventory. And then I tried Auctiva and they have the most easiest attribute/option system I saw, I was amazed! - but they are too far from a usable platform.
Is there any method I don’t know to duplicate simple products easier way? Magento either needs to address this online or to offer offline inventory tool with product image building and upload function. Please help!

Codar

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

soleandblues

Total Posts:  25
St. Louis

I agree. I would also like to know if anyone else found a feasible solution. Magento is a great product and promising in so many ways but inventory creation is an absolute nightmare.

The closest I’ve found is Verve EasySKU but the developer seems to have abandoned the project ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

grooves1200

Total Posts:  122

i don’t know how to duplicate simple products, but i, too, would love to know if there’s a way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

smkorby

Total Posts:  31

I hate to drag up an old thread, but here is the simplest way I have found to add configurable product. It’s not simple enough, I would like to duplicate an entire configurable product with all of its variations, but have not found a way.

Here is the method:

go to CATALOG => MANAGE PRODUCTS

Click ADD PRODUCT
Attribute Set => (whatever you have named it) option1_option2
Product Type => configurable Product
CONTINUE
Check all boxes
CONTINUE
GENERAL
Generic Name: Product Name
Complete description to include all variants, copy same to short description
sku - no spaces: product-name
weight: 0
URL Key: match SKU
Visibility: Catalog, Search
CATEGORIES => select relevant categories
SAVE OFTEN

ASSOCIATED PRODUCTS (this is where you add the variables, it creates the associated simple products)*********
Click RESET FILTER to show all related products
=> Quick simple product creation
visibility: catalog, search
accent_wire: SELECT ONE***
bead_color: SELECT ONE***
QUICK CREATE

Magento Community
Magento Community

CoolAidBrigade

Total Posts:  1

In your configurable products go to the bottom of the list on the left. Select “Associated Products”

“Quick simple product creation”

follow those steps and WALA! much quicker than creating new products 1,000 times for each configurable product.

Does that help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dgiove

Total Posts:  21

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I would point out a solution for anyone (like me) finding this years after it was brought up.

You can duplicate a simple product by opening it, and clicking the “Duplicate” button at the top.

See attached.

Hope that helps!

Image Attachments
magento duplicate.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentodak

Total Posts:  14

dgiove - 04 October 2011 07:22 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I would point out a solution for anyone (like me) finding this years after it was brought up.

You can duplicate a simple product by opening it, and clicking the “Duplicate” button at the top.

See attached.

Hope that helps!

You’re the best!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

normanyclark

Total Posts:  28
India

It’s very helpful and interesting information for adding and creating a duplicate buttons. You can easily add and configure your products using this techniques. Thanks for sharing with us.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eAppWare

Total Posts:  23

Online stores have been growing over the past years now processing thousands of records in a single installation.  The management of products in their thousands is too tedious and time consuming for manual updates in an ever changing business environment.

There are various solutions to this including MDM (PIM) tools, ETL tools, Magento CSV upload, manual product updates and custom developed scripts.  It comes down to ongoing maintenance and whether there is a case to invest upfront for PIM/ETL providing ongoing reduced costs, hire manual staff to perform data entry or consultants to build custom solutions.  The higher the amount of manual data entry the more back-office issues will arise such as mistaken orders, invoicing and returns.  For custom scripts it depends on the complexity and whether you can afford the time and effort to design and implement such a solution.

We have a CoreETL solution which takes flat data and explodes it to Magento format for simple, grouped and configurable products thereby generating the combinations automatically, this may provide a quick deployment solution for the business needs.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community