Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Host Gator No Longer Supports Magento on its shared hosting or VPS reseller platforms

cheeseandrice

Total Posts:  120

I wanted to open up this thread to see if anyone else ran into this problem on their shared hosting. Hostgator told me today that they are no longer supporting Magento and will not be offering “innoDB” on their shared or VPS servers which is required to run Magento’s latest release 1.3.0. Anyone else getting this from their hosts?

Anyone have a more cooperative VPS solution that has good reseller tools and great customer service. Host Gator has been exceptional up to this point. I suppose I could go back to developing on OSC.......yawn

Thoughts or suggestions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cheeseandrice

I got an email from Host Gator after I told them I would have to leave for a different solution. They told me innoDB is now active on my server. I have a VPS Reseller Account. Just though I would share.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cheeseandrice

I got an email from Host Gator after I told them I would have to leave for a different solution. They told me innoDB is now active on my server. I have a VPS Reseller Account. Just thought I would share.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tradiArt
Guru

Total Posts:  379

I can’t believe this… I was a hostgator customer, I complained lots of times for lack of innod support. When I closed my account they didn’t offer me any solution, some weeks ago.

Does hostgator offer now VPS? They must have lost a lot of customers....

Anyway, I’m very very happy with my new provider.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cheeseandrice

Sorry to hear that. They don’t call it VPS....but if you have a reseller account they you are basically are VPS from my POV, but still managed...Which is good and bad I suppose, been all good so far. I guess my point is that, that are making exceptions. I actually kinda go the feeling that someone else on my serve may have scored the win here. I would not start telling people to go to HG, though they will negotiate with you, they are not so big that they are cripled. I hiope it stays that way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tradiArt
Guru

Total Posts:  379

No, oficially, Hostgator is not a host for Magento, you are an exception for shure.

You’re lucky, get profit for the situation.

Read carefully the forum before begin and you will benefit from a great e-commerce application.

You are welcome!

Magento Community
Magento Community

equalizer

Total Posts:  10

Unfortunately that is the case, i was told exactly the same thing.
Pretty disappointing because they were great hosting company till now.
I’ll really be very sorry that i have to look for a new reseller hosting company

Anyway

Magento Community
Magento Community

RockSteady

Total Posts:  3

This is what they told me also…

“We only support innoDB on dedicated servers for security reasons. Only versions 1.1.8 and lower will work with our servers as they do not require INNODB.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

LisaLisa08 - 12 April 2009 03:47 PM

“We only support innoDB on dedicated servers for security reasons. Only versions 1.1.8 and lower will work with our servers as they do not require INNODB.”

Eh - this is wrong information - whether it’s a blantant lie to you, their client, is up to you to decide.

From version 0.x1.e.g.g (the beggining - Magento has required InnoDB support. )

If you didnt read the requirements that’s not your hosts’s problem.  That’s your problem.

Hostgator is an excellent host - just not for Magento, or any other serious ecommerce application.

Magento Community
Magento Community

equalizer

Total Posts:  10

Just AN Update
I have been informed thru their technical department that they have offering inodb to some of their servers at the moment in a test phase.
and their plan is to offer to every server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RockSteady

Total Posts:  3

Crucial Web Host - 12 April 2009 04:08 PM

LisaLisa08 - 12 April 2009 03:47 PM

Eh - this is wrong information - whether it’s a blantant lie to you, their client, is up to you to decide.

From version 0.x1.e.g.g (the beggining - Magento has required InnoDB support. )

If you didnt read the requirements that’s not your hosts’s problem.  That’s your problem.

Hostgator is an excellent host - just not for Magento, or any other serious ecommerce application.

1. Um BLUEHOST is my host. So NO! I never did read Hostgators requirements cause I didn’t and don’t have to wink
2. I never said Hostgator is NOT an excellent host and don’t really care if they are or not. AGAIN I am with BLUEHOST!
3. I simply quoted word for word what someone at Hostgator told me. Sooooooooooooooooooooo not that big a deal?
4. Of all the comments. You take issue with mine LOL? Take a chill pill. Calm down. RELAX!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

cheeseandrice

Host gator has amazing customer service. I have a reseller account with them which puts me on a rather low load server clustered with other resellers. Magento runs quite fast on it, I do not know about there more consumer-shared accounts but my server has innoBD.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie
Mentor

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I have several installations of Magento running on our shared HostGator account including 1.1.8, 1.2.0.1, 1.3.1 and 1.3.2.1 versions. All with no problems.

Magento Community
Magento Community

triumph3000

Total Posts:  2

I’m running an ecommerce website on Hostgator.  Shared reseller account.  At night, its awesome.  For 8 hours during the day, my site is cripled...terribly slow.  Hostgator SUCKS for Magento IMO and from my experience.  Definitely don’t risk it with these guys. 

Although yes, their customer service is absolutely unparalleled.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rykman

Total Posts:  7

I would agree, Host Gator tells you they can support Magento but they really can’t. The site slows to a craw at times and try running an index rebuild or backup. Their resources are so low it can’t finish. For a while they have set my limits a little higher to get the work done, but now they just tell me they can’t change them any more.

DO NOT host Magneto on Host Gator !!!  Do not waste your time no matter what they tell you.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community