Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I use a drop down to add an accessory to a product? 

ccttu

Total Posts:  10
Texas

Ok, this is probably very easy, but I’m having issues.  Let’s say I sell beds, and on my product page for the bed I want to have a drop down that allows my client to add an accessory product along with the purchase of the bed.  For example, the main product is the bed, and the accessories in the drop down are mattresses (three in this example).  The addition of the mattress would also increase the price by some amount.  I currently have this set up with Custom Options on a Simple Product, but I need to be able to track the inventory of the accessory (mattress), which I don’t believe is possible through Custom Options.

I tried setting this up as a Configurable Product, but since Configurable Products require that each Simple Product have a value for the Mattress Attribute, it won’t work.  This is different than an Attribute like “Size”, where each Simple Product can only have one size associated to it, since in my example, I’m just asking if they would like to add one of three mattresses to their order.

Ideas?  I really appreciate the help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

yesvinnie

Total Posts:  22

Have you found an answer yet? I have a similar issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

valegal

Total Posts:  131

Not 100% sure, but I would think that you would just set “Values Required” to No in the attribute.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community