Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Getting Product view to embed other blocks

Chris Williams

Total Posts:  67
Dallas, TX

I feel like I’ve been staring at a sudoku puzzle for the past hour.  The answer is clearly right in front of me, I just don’t see it.

Where I want to place the breadcrumbs, Related Items, and Cart are not in their respective blocks, but within the Product View block.  It doesn’t do any good to place “<?=$this->getChildHtml('breadcrumbs')?>” within page.phtml for example.

Can anyone help me with this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Williams

Dallas, TX

For example: I can pull a cart for the product view page if I call it through 2columns-right.phtml.  But the way I have the page formatted, it really needs to show up within view.phtml and not before or after it. 

In Expression Engine, I can call other pages without any trouble using smarty tags.  How do I do that here?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Williams

Dallas, TX

Okay,

What about the other way around?  Can I get parts of the Content block to show up in the Right block?  LIke if I want the “Add to cart” form to be in the right hand column of 2columns-right.phtml, is that possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Williams

Dallas, TX

ohminu - 02 March 2008 05:57 PM

chris, can you show me a comp of what you’re trying to do? I don’t see a reason why you’d ever use a Add to Cart form in the right hand column - this is a disaster for usability.

Usability isn’t something that I have a say in.  Its the clients decision, I just have to make it work.  I’ll PM you the address.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community