Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Discount Clubs

Mark Howson

Total Posts:  28
UK (Weather: Cold and Rainy)

I’d love to see a feature where users could join a ‘discount club’. They’d pay a subscription fee to be moved up to a new ‘level’ of customer for X days/months/years, and could upgrade at checkout. For example, a user could upgrade from Level 1 to Level 2 and benefit from a 5% discount on all purchases applied at the cart.

Alternatively, a user might gain access to the club after spending $XXX or placing X orders in a period of X days/months/years.

This could be very effective to increase customer retention, and would be a differentiating feature from many other cart solutions.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

Very cool ideas.  That kind of system would make for a nice module.  ...we need to start organizing module ideas :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Brandon, good thinking!

I want to throw in an idea… discounted credits or tokens. Buy tokens in advance at a discount for use toward future purchases. I can see this being useful for stores with digital downloads.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

I have created a wiki page dedicated to module tracking.  If anyone wants to help add module ideas, please do!  I think that this thread should go back to talking about the functionality of a discount club/customer loyalty program.

Here are my ideas for features for the module, based on the loyalty program that I have experience with.
- Point system: For every dollar that you spend on products (tax and shipping excluded), minus discounts, you receive X points.  For every X number of points in your account, you will receive $X’s off of your next order.
- Levels/Groups: The ability to set customers into different levels/groups based on purchasing history (after X number of orders or $X amount of orders), or a manual nature.  Another alternative would be the ability to let customers buy their way into groups based on a subscription (to me, this would be out of the scope of a single module and make require a branch of loyalty group modules).
- Exceptions: The ability to say that certain customers or products (usually decided manually) are exempt from the points system.  Gift certificates are an example of a product that shouldn’t receive points.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I want to separate the idea of loyalty from the idea of memberships. With memberships, these can apply to groups of customers, say government, education, retail, restaurants, etc. That’s not to say they are loyal customers. They may or may not be. I’ve added “Memberships” to the list. Also added the token idea, which could be related to points in some way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brian Purkiss

Total Posts:  1
Texas

I like the idea of a points system.

But I’d like to be able to have an admin add points - or integrate it with a web site.

So if someone were to post on a forum, or post comments on a blog, or something else like that they’d earn points they could use in the store.
That would require quite a bit…
but it’s be very cool and unique.

If that’s too much, then having a system where admins could go in and give points to specific users manually would work almost as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mr_dimsum

Total Posts:  35

Can’t you already set something similar in the forms of user groups or roles?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community