Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Image Zoom Bug? Maybe? 

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Hey.. I’m not sure if this is just my browser or what… but it might be a javascript bug.

Has anyone had the issue where if you Double-click the Image it pops OUT of the image Zoom and hovers on the page.  You can still move it around, but it covers up your whole page.  Not a major bug.. but I thought I might bring it up.

Javascript is outta my league, I started to use FireBug to figure out the issue but.. well… like I said Javascript is not my thing.

Anyone else have this issue?

Doubeclick your product photo and lemme know.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Maff

Total Posts:  63
Yorkshire, UK

Hi!

I just tried it and that doesn’t happen. BUT, the zoom slider grabber disappears, as do any option drop-down selects (such as size & color in apparel). Strange!

Firefox & Vista Business

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

I believe what you are describing is the design of the script.  If you double click on the image, and it is bigger than the box that contains it, it will “pop out” and you can drag and release the photo to see it all.

To cancel out, double click again.

If you see something else, post more info (maybe even a screenshot).  Also, include your browser and os.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@Brandon: I was writing the reply when got notification about your post smile

Yep, it suppose to allow customer to see the whole large image.
There is still some work to be done, like tooltip that says “Double-click to show all” or such.

Also, we are sure that store owners will choose their own favorite way of zooming on large image.

Another good choice could be the way it’s done here:
http://www.endless.com

Although it is very specific to layout concept of this store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

Ah, Amazon’s new love child.  That site is VERY slick, but I think it might be ahead of its time for mainstream actually.  We tried implementing a similar “browse” feature on one of our sites and it got very negative remarks in usability because it just wasn’t the normal way to do it.

As for the photos, I think they do a pretty nice job, but I tend to hate hover effects that drastic.  It takes a small learning curve and the first time it happens, it’s a shock.

Now the attributes, I think are awesome!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Aww, ok. I didn’t realize it was supposed to do that.  It’s clever now that I think about it but a tooltip or frame might be useful.

I like the Image zoom script. Good idea.  What image size would you guys limit yourselves too? I noticed these demo images were about 150k at 72 dpi. I’d like to show more detail, but hadn’t made up my mind about just how large I wanted to go. What’d you guys think?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

I can’t think of any reason why a picture would need to be that big.  Also, if it’s your own photography, I would definitely limit the picture’s size because people will steal them and put them on ebay.  The default image zoom system doesn’t protect your images in any way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

is it just me or does an image look really bad when it is by default fully zoomed out (im looking at the green coalesce shirt specifically). just a jagged mess. i’m assuming this is just a windows/firefox issue as safari and such have ‘better’ image scaling.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzCart

Total Posts:  36
NW Ohio–USA

The green shirt looks fine here… on a pc with firefox, no scaling issues at all.
640x480 or 800x600 and at 72dpi screen resolution are really as big as any image should be probably.
Also when saving the jpg’s i usually go no higher than 60-70 percent quality sometimes as low as 31 to 41 percent.
The higher settings where no dithering at all takes place is really redundant quality and can make a difference when trying to keep the images below say 100k, unless you have bandwidth to burn, but your users might not. Optimization is always a good idea.
Just my thoughts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

Total Posts:  50

Hello,

I want to take over the very primitive shop of my friend to magento. He sells sports artikels, especially skis. But, as you know, a ski is very small and bretty long. So the thump ski picture would show almonst only a small line. The customer could not see very much of it. And the detailled artikel picture box is also not very big. Of course there is the zoom possibility, but the most important part would be to show the ski at the whole length in a bigger size, so the customer would be animated to zoom in. You could have a picture at the old shop here Shop. Use the link “Shop” in the navigation and then again the link “Shop” at the bottom of the page. Then click the category “1. Langlauf Racing-Ski (ohne Bindung)”. Now you can see the SMALL ski picture, and when you click it the BIG.

Would there be the possibility with Magento to have a BIGGER thump product picture? The problem is only with the skis. The small thumps would be okey with the other artikels.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagicToolbox

Total Posts:  21
London, UK

Hey everyone,

Displaying good quality images is an essential part of a successful ecommerce site. So I wanted to throw open some more options in this important area.

Please take a look at our 3 tools that provide different ways to display product images close-up in fine detail:

Magic Thumb: enlarges the image from small to large.

Magic Zoom: displays a zoomed in version as you hover over the image. (Very popular).

Magic Magnify: is like a magnifying glass over the image.

They have been installed on Magento websites before. Contact us if you’d like help installing any of them and we’ll see what we can do smile

Magic Toolbox

Magento Community
Magento Community

GreyWolf

Total Posts:  46

I know that this thread started in September 2007. However I’m experiencing the same “click to enlarge” bug (where the enlarged image covers the entire product page) in both Firefox and Safari.

Here is my 2 cents: As a newbie to Magento, and having spent the last three to four months methodically analyzing the many ecommerce programs and saas choices, and attending the Internet Retailers Convention, I finally chose Magento as my new platform, I think Magento is unbelievably awesome. With all the cool features that Magento offers, everything looks and works great for me, except, I kinda think the click to enlarge” feature is annoying. As a first time user, browsing through the Magento demo.store I didn’t bother to read before clicking around, like most browsers with old browsing habits. Nor did I see anywhere on the page that stated that I had to double-click on the enlarged image to make it go away. In fact when I originally looked at the demo.store, I thought the demo program had a bug, and so I left the site and continued my search for a new ecommerce platform. This “click to enlarge” feature, just wasn’t clear. With an ecommerce site, everything, even as cool as it may look, needs to have a simple thinking solution. Otherwise, IMO, an annoying or non-mainstream shopping feature may cause the potential customer to abandon the site as fast as they came in (like the experience did for me when I first double clicked on the image.

So, is there a easy way to make the image go to a blank page when one double clicks on it, instead of covering the product page?

Thanks, in advance, for your help

Magento Community
Magento Community

Albert

Total Posts:  50

In addition to my post of April 1 2008 above I have the following question:

Is it possible to have two DIFFERENT pictures, one for the thump and one for the big one? So I could use for the skis a thump picture which shows ONLY the top part of the ski and for the big one the WHOLE ski.

Thanks again for your help.

Albert

Magento Community
Magento Community

James Ball

Total Posts:  46

i very much like the way the zoom and image featurs work on the endless site, is this custom made? is there a version available for sale?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cushionguru

Total Posts:  19

RE: Has anyone had the issue where if you Double-click the Image it pops OUT of the image Zoom and hovers on the page.  You can still move it around, but it covers up your whole page.

Has anyone figured out how to stop the big image from popping up??

Magento Community
Magento Community

mk-ok

Total Posts:  20

Is the zoom included in the Blank theme? I’m testing with adding products and I don’t get a zoom option. If anyone can help or point me to a thread about setting up or enabling the zoom. I’ve been searching all night to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2