Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I sell products by the inch help, and other random questions: 

kab8609
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  821
Cleveland

Hi there. I currently use Network Solutions E-Commerce (written in ASP) and I am thinking about switching. However I do sell some products that are not very common online.

1. The first is a bandsaw blade, which is measured by the inch. You can see an example at my current store here:

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/trimaster.aspx

You can see that there a several styles of blades (all with different prices) to be chosen, then the customer selects the size (which the price is per foot). Can Magneto do this?

2. Does Magneto have a product limit? Not including the bandsaw blades, I can easily list over 100,000 products.

3. For configurable products, can you have a configuration that has a surcharged associated to it?

4. Does Magneto have a import/export feature?

5. Is it possible to have Magneto to make a purchase order for a order? We have the ability to ship from vendors and that would save me about 10 minutes every time.

Thanks!

-Kris

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Cleveland

Ok, I figured out questions 2-5, but even after trying I can’t figure out the answer to question 1. For question 1 (to make it easier to understand) is the customer first selects a product variation, however that variation has 3 different options and they all cost different.

Variation A $5.00/Foot
Variation B $7.00/Foot
Variation C $8.25/Foot

After the customer selects that, then they select there footage needed (in feet than in inches) than it multiplies that footage with the variation cost. The way I can do it with network solutions is to create a product and than for each variation I have 312 lines of prices for each possible outcome (i.e. Variation A 5’ 0"… 5’ 1”...). I’m trying to figure out if I can do this with Magento (which is no problem since I already have a excel spreadsheet programmed with the values).

Thanks for your help!
-Kris

Magento Community
Magento Community

thommeredith

Total Posts:  1

I am trying to do a similar process. But I am working with diamonds and stones.

stone selection
stone type A (price A)
stone type B (price B)
stone type C (price C)

stone qty

In this setup, I need to have the shopper choose the stone and then the qty. I believe that I can use configurable products for this to work correctly:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/tutorial-creating-a-configurable-product

But I have not tried yet. If I figure this out, I will let you know. If you have 512 variations, this might be tedious… My problem seemed difficult until I read yours.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kab8609
Enthusiast

Cleveland

I have a lead using this module: http://biz.metrofindings.com/main.page/magento_modules.html

It will probably take a week to fully figure it out.

Yea i know, I am hoping to solve this issue as putting a (different) price on variation A, B, & C and telling a script to take that price x the amount of feet used.

-Kris

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community