Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible to use “User ID” to login instead of “User Email”? 

mannacc

Total Posts:  1

Hi all,

As title, I need to modify the login process, in order to use “User ID” to login instead of “Email”.
Is it possible to do that without touching the core codes? Any help or idea would be appreciated! wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

till

Total Posts:  58

Hey mannacc,

any heads up if you got it working? And if so, how?

Thanks,
Till

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

It should be possible, although it would require you to change at least one core file. A while back I was playing around with the user login, so I might be able to locate the file if need be. It should be somwhere in app/code/core/Mage/Customer/controllers though. I’m pretty busy these days, but cantact me if you need any help and I’ll try my best to help out smile.

Magento Community
Magento Community

till

Total Posts:  58

Bockbertil - 08 June 2009 07:42 AM

It should be possible, although it would require you to change at least one core file. A while back I was playing around with the user login, so I might be able to locate the file if need be. It should be somwhere in app/code/core/Mage/Customer/controllers though. I’m pretty busy these days, but cantact me if you need any help and I’ll try my best to help out smile.

Do you have any idea if I could override it with code in app/code/local/Mage/Customer/controllers and that would automatically work? I am not too sure how exactly this is supposed to be in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ModifyMage

Total Posts:  84

This might help:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/34010/

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageParts
Guru

Total Posts:  415

I don’t have access to my Zend Studio at the moment so I’m afraid I can’t look at any code examples, sorry. You cannot ovrride a controller, you’ll have to edit the core files. Just remember to save the original core file, and if you solve your problem, save the edited file as well since you would need to make the same changes once you uprgrade your Magento installtion. I would like to help you out further, I’ll try to get a hold of my Zend Studio a little later tonight mate

Magento Community
Magento Community

ModifyMage

Total Posts:  84

Bockbertil - 08 June 2009 08:26 AM

You cannot ovrride a controller, you’ll have to edit the core files.

Actually, you can. There are many posts in this forum and in the Wiki on how to do it. I have overloaded the editPostAction() function from this same controller (AccountController.php) in my store.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community