Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I get internal server error

labeshops

Total Posts:  3

I created the database and installed the sample data, uploaded all the files to my domain (I have multiple subdomains on one account and want to install the main store in /public_html/companydomain/magento/ but when I then try to go to the install file, I get an Internal Server Error ???

I think the problem is paths in the htaccess file but I really don’t have a clue on what I need to change. Any suggestions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ckosny
Guru

Total Posts:  349
Luxembourg

First comment out the entire htaccess and try whether you still get an server error (note that magento will not work with that). Then comment in the first block, try again, then the second block and so on until you know exactly which block causes the problems.

Once you know that either ask again here or preferably ask the support of your provider.

Good luck

Claudia

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

As Claudia stated, the problem is probably caused by one (or several) of the directives in your .htaccess file. Often, shared hosting providers disable certain directives which will render internal server errors if overridden in .htaccess.

Two likely candidates:

SSLOptions StdEnvVars
Options 
+FollowSymLinks

If the problem is not caused by .htaccess, please check your file permission settings. If the server is running suPHP, the ‘group’ or ‘other’ bit cannot be set to writable for files or directories (e.g. 777 mask).

Magento Community
Magento Community

labeshops

Total Posts:  3

Hmm okay thanks. I put in support ticket with my hosts too as it looks to me like everything is set per magento’s requirements, but I’m double checking with them too.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community