Areas that I can think of that will benefit most from community contributions:
- payment gateway integrations (especially for non US countries)
- shipping calculations (especially for non US countries)
- interface translations
- data export/import for integration with various financial software packages
- postcode address lookup integration (different for each country)
Having a well thought out API in these areas (and good documentation) would be much appreciated. I know I would be glad to contribute in this kind of way if there are not too many obstacles to overcome.
I definitely support the idea of tight quality assurance - it’s expected for e-commerce software (or should be). However there needs to be a balance so as not to stifle community involvement.
What do you think about a multi-layered approach to contributions?:
- incorporation in the core (top level)
- certified/supported add-ons (second level)
- other community contributions (the open-source melting-pot - but this kind of thing really needs a way to rate and sort, there needs to be a way for the best to ‘float to the top’. A way to sort by popularity and rating, etc.)