Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

No solution posted so far makes magento connect work

YvesT

Total Posts:  38

Yes i have searched through the forums to fix my problem, but nothing seems to work.
Either it just does nothing, or it creates a new problem.

this is the well known error

ErrorPlease check for sufficient write file permissions

Your Magento folder does not have sufficient write permissions
which this web based downloader requires.

If 
you wish to proceed downloading Magento packages onlineplease set all Magento folders to have writable permission for the web server user (exampleapache) and press the "Refresh" button to try again.

doing a chmod to 777 in SSH telnet

gives me this error

Exception caught:

Warningphp_uname() has been disabled for security reasons in /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php on line 772

Backtrace
:

#0 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php(772): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, 'php_uname() has...', '/usr/home/aeona...', 772, Array)
#1 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php(1442): PEAR_Registry->_lock()
#2 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(163): PEAR_Registry->channelExists(1)
#3 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(132): Maged_Pear->getRegistry('connect.magento...')
#4 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(77): Maged_Pear->getConfig()
#5 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(83): Maged_Pear->__construct()
#6 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Model/Pear.php(40): Maged_Pear->getInstance()
#7 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(112): Maged_Model_Pear->pear()
#8 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(350): Maged_Controller->pearPackagesAction()
#9 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(170): Maged_Controller->dispatch()
#10 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/index.php(35): Maged_Controller::run()
#11 {main}

Which disables only the magento connect button.

So i am out of ideas what to do to fix this.
Why does the installer not mention to chmod this file if its really necessary?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

php_uname() is a PHP function which the Magento Downloader uses to identify the operating system of your server. That error message means that it has been disabled by the server administrator in php.ini.

This function is not strictly necessary, so if it is the only function disabled try this workaround:

1. Open the file downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php in your Magento root directory.

2. Locate the following code segment (line #772):

function _lock($mode LOCK_EX)
{

if (!eregi('Windows 9'php_uname())) {
    [
...]

Replace with the following:

function _lock($mode LOCK_EX)
{

if (true{
    [
...]

That should let you past the error. However, chances are that other functions are disabled as well. In that case, you should contact your hosting provider and ask them to enable the functions.

Let me know if this solves it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YvesT

thanks for the help, i tried it but no luck

this is the error i got after trying it

Warningphp_uname() has been disabled for security reasons in /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php on line 452

Backtrace
:

#0 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php(452): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, 'php_uname() has...', '/usr/home/aeona...', 452, Array)
#1 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php(538): PEAR_DependencyDB->_lock()
#2 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php(436): PEAR_DependencyDB->_writeDepDB(2)
#3 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php(168): PEAR_DependencyDB->rebuildDB(Array)
#4 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php(108): PEAR_DependencyDB->assertDepsDB()
#5 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear/Registry.php(22): PEAR_DependencyDB->singleton()
#6 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php(377): Maged_Pear_Registry->_initializeDepDB(Object(PEAR_Config))
#7 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php(777): PEAR_Registry->_assertStateDir()
#8 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/Registry.php(1442): PEAR_Registry->_lock()
#9 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(163): PEAR_Registry->channelExists(1)
#10 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(132): Maged_Pear->getRegistry('connect.magento...')
#11 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(77): Maged_Pear->getConfig()
#12 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Pear.php(83): Maged_Pear->__construct()
#13 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Model/Pear.php(40): Maged_Pear->getInstance()
#14 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(112): Maged_Model_Pear->pear()
#15 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(350): Maged_Controller->pearPackagesAction()
#16 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/Maged/Controller.php(170): Maged_Controller->dispatch()
#17 /usr/home/aeonauto/www/aeon-computers.com/downloader/index.php(35): Maged_Controller::run()
#18 {main}

what mode should i ask my host to activate? Should not be a problem they even installed the pdo_mysql for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Looks like the php_uname() function is used in this file as well: downloader/pearlib/php/PEAR/DependencyDB.php

Just ask your host to enable the above function.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YvesT

contacted my host and had the module activated again, working now with the directories on 777

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community