Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

remove ‘weight’ as required attribute

zemic

Total Posts:  13
n.Wales, UK

Hi,

How would you go about removing weight as a required attribute? I’ve tried creating my own attribute set, but I’m still forced to have some fields - weight being the one that sticks out to me at this particular time.

Thanks,
Chris.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Unic

Total Posts:  18
Zürich, Switzerland

Just edit the existing attribute ‘weight’ and set required to no. Thats it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Total Posts:  153
Leicestershire, UK

Hi,
I’ve done this but it makes no difference - weight is still showing as a required attribute in the default attribute set.

Suggestions,
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

MobWeb

Total Posts:  23

I realize this is a rather old thread but I found it through Google so I thought I\’d post my solution here: Simply go to Catalog -> Attributes -> Manage Attributes and select the \"weight\" attribute. In the multi-select below \"Apply to\”, select a product type that you don\’t need. For example I set it to \"Downloadable Product\” since I never use that in my shop. Now you won\’t be bothered with this attribute again when setting up a new product. Hope that helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

hbstreng

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I tried to set Apply to on a product that I am not using but I receive the following message

The attribute code \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’weight\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\’ is reserved by system. Please try another attribute code

I am not allowed to make any changes. What to do?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community