Magento Forum

Sort by Price Issue

GuyGadbois

Total Posts:  10

Anyone else have problem with sort by price in product catalog after upgrading to 1.3.0?

Had problems with this before but thought this issue was resolved.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

GuyGadbois

I suspect this has to do with the Layered Navigation Indices issue since everything works on my local test environment. Sort by price seems to be completely random, I think catalogindex_price and catalogindex_minimal_price needs to be updated in the db and the Layered Navigation Indices script crashes on shared hosts since the script takes too long to run… Read about this issue somewhere. Can’t see any other difference between local installation and production site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuyGadbois

Yes, that was the problem.

Semi-manually updating Layered Navigation Indices by calling plainReindex for each product entity in a PHP loop solved the sort by price issue. I guess i need to convince my host to extend allowed maximum execution time or switch to a VPS.

Magento Community
Magento Community

proteinshake

Total Posts:  42

I am having this issue as well. It seems when I update a product, it gets bumped to the bottom of the page. Can you explain a little more detailed on how to fix this issue?

Magento Community
Magento Community

proteinshake

Total Posts:  42

Nevermind I fixed this by simply refreshing the Layered Navigation Indices under cache managment

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuyGadbois

Yes, sorry… I was not explaining well. The problem I had was that since I’m using a shared host the script crashes with “maximum execution time exceeded”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

deggertsen

Total Posts:  30
Utah

GuyGadbois - 01 April 2009 09:09 AM

Semi-manually updating Layered Navigation Indices by calling plainReindex for each product entity in a PHP loop solved the sort by price issue. I guess i need to convince my host to extend allowed maximum execution time or switch to a VPS.

How did you manually update the Layered Navigation Indices? Can you give more details on how you did this? I suspect that I have the same problem with the max execution time, however I increased it on the server to 3000 and it still isn’t working properly. If you could explain in detail how you manually updated that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GuyGadbois

deggertsen - 24 June 2009 12:24 PM

GuyGadbois - 01 April 2009 09:09 AM

How did you manually update the Layered Navigation Indices? Can you give more details on how you did this? I suspect that I have the same problem with the max execution time, however I increased it on the server to 3000 and it still isn’t working properly. If you could explain in detail how you manually updated that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

I did something similar to this:

http://chrismckee.co.uk/magento-commerce-layered-navigation-cache-error-part-deux/

It probably works better than what I did, I had to run my script more or less every day so it was a major headache. Also, make sure that max execution time is set to 3000 when calling phpinfo, in our case the host didn’t allow that setting to be overwritten. We eventually decided to switch to a VPS.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisMK

Total Posts:  28
Manchester UK

http://chrismckee.co.uk/magento-commerce-layered-navigation-cache-error-part-deux/

The trick is to run the process whilst monitoring the memory usage (hence the script output in bash (SSH) ) To work out at which point you should restart.

Your essentially limited by PHP’s set memory limit; and the fact MAGE+ZEND crammed together leaks like a sieve.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ChrisMK

Total Posts:  28
Manchester UK

-> Layered Navigation Fix http://chrismckee.co.uk/magento-commerce-layered-navigation-cache-error-part-badger-part-duck/

I’ve recently Updated it, Now a Browser version and a PHP-CLI Version (aka SSH runnable) that will let you run the layered navigation refresh in chunks.

Please lot all issues on the post in the comments section.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rickc

Total Posts:  16
Canada

proteinshake - 01 April 2009 11:21 AM

Nevermind I fixed this by simply refreshing the Layered Navigation Indices under cache managment

thanks for mentioning it! I have the “magento absolute” theme installed and the items i have selected as “featured” to display on home page were not sorting by price properly until i tried your step of refreshing Layered Navigation Indices in Cache Management…

grin

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community