Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Suggested Reliability

DaveTheAve

Total Posts:  25
Kentucky

How reliable would the community suggest Magento would be? My boss really wants a ecommerce site. Being a user of Zend Framework myself, I know my way around a bit and plus, Magento isn’t like the OTHER “free” ecommerce solutions.

I was planning on setting him up with Magento and keep upgrading everytime a patch came out, but I just am not completely sure on the reliability of the solution in it’s beta stages.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DaveTheAve

Kentucky

WOW! That was fast, not 50 secounds.

Well, alright how about this: Is Magento’s structure going to continue being the same so if I start designing it for him, or will I have to keep editing my templates?

Come on, give me a reason to stay away from other providers like OSCommerce, he wants this site ASAP.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Total Posts:  76
Web Developer

It will be reliable.  It is currently not reliable.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

DaveTheAve - 08 September 2007 05:17 AM

WOW! That was fast, not 50 secounds.

Well, alright how about this: Is Magento’s structure going to continue being the same so if I start designing it for him, or will I have to keep editing my templates?

Come on, give me a reason to stay away from other providers like OSCommerce, he wants this site ASAP.

Everything is subject to change.  Roy has even discouraged trying to build a module because the core API may even change.

What about a temporary hosted shopping cart?  That’s the path I am going to try.  It skips the extra development costs and will be even faster to market than osCommerce usually.

EDIT: lol, I feel like an echo

Magento Community
Magento Community

DaveTheAve

Kentucky

Boss already has a site with Startlogic and needs a SEO’d site with a nice GUI, and as soon as he said Ecommerce I thought Magento, but yeah, he wants it by next week.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DaveTheAve

Kentucky

Alrightly, I’ll try to talk him to hold on..... lets hope it works.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandon

Web Developer

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone launch a customized (let alone “SEO’d") cart in less than a week.  You may also want to think long term—sometimes waiting is better.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DaveTheAve

Kentucky

I’m with you on that Brandon, and lucky we sat down and we talked.... bottom line, he is going to wait to publicize the site until he gets more manufacturer partners. I’m guessing that should be about Q1 of 08, but he still wants a FINALIZED working private server sooner; i’ll release the sub-domain address when I’m finished.

I’m really wanting to base the site’s theme off “A.Piotrowski (Lento.pl)” ‘s but until he releases it I need a dummy template.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TDub

Total Posts:  14

Why hold off? Build a business now: get customers and focus good search ranking. Can you use OSC, Yahoo Stores, Monster Commerce or anything else out there? Sometimes waiting is better, but sometimes you shoot yourself in the foot. There are no guarantees that this will be ready Q1...This very beta was late. Was it not? I didn’t get an announcement letter until Sep 4th.

I think Magento is great, but I wouldn’t base my business’s production schedule on a proposed final release for an OSS package many months from now. I’d only think that way for a hobby store.

Just get something up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TDub

Total Posts:  14

I was paying attention...To my inbox. Otherwise, what’s the point of subscribing?

My suggestion was to get something up and I mentioned the possibility of OSC, Yahoo Stores, Monster Commerce. None of these are in beta.

The point is that there is a business case to make money, not just wait for something cool that you have no control over. So go use something that works. The whole purpose of ecommerce is to make money. Once you’ve done that, migrate if you feel the need.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community