Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Does anybody at Varien actually test Magento

Business Feet

Total Posts:  82

It seems that every upgrade there are some really fundamental things which do not work as they should and have previously.  Things that can render a production site both unusable and inoperable leaving the store owner with no income and the stores clients with no way to browse, search and buy.

It would seem that no-one at Varien actually tests their upgrade paths nor does any quality checks to see if any of it will work.

I appreciate it’s open source but come on guys sort it out, you could be seen to be giving open source a bad name.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ButterfliesForRelease

Total Posts:  25
Brooker, FL

Things that can render a production site both unusable and inoperable leaving the store owner with no income and the stores clients with no way to browse, search and buy.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but every upgrade says to not try it on a production site.

Note: We do NOT recommend upgrading a production installation of Magento directly.

I do feel the pain of upgrades having problems, but they tell you not to start with a production site upgrade, and remind you to backup everything first.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Badley

Total Posts:  4

Business Feet - 31 March 2009 09:10 AM

I appreciate it’s open source but come on guys sort it out, you could be seen to be giving open source a bad name.

Many open source projects have problems after releasing such major milestone type releases, if you feel like open source isn’t for you, just switch to a commercial project.

And, like previously mentioned, you were the one who thought it necessary to update your live production site, you are the one who has caused your customers the hassle, I think its only fair that you take on board some responsibility for your own actions rather than seemingly blaming people who have created some thing to earn YOU money and given it to you for FREE.

In all honest there’s some many variations of environments, to cater for, countless files to consider and the fact that much of the project is dealt with by so many different individuals, it astonishes me how open source projects, including Magneto, get it right, such high percentage of the time.

I think your post sounds slightly disrespectful to be honest business feet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dunester

Total Posts:  13

ButterfliesForRelease - 31 March 2009 09:47 AM

Things that can render a production site both unusable and inoperable leaving the store owner with no income and the stores clients with no way to browse, search and buy.

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but every upgrade says to not try it on a production site.

Note: We do NOT recommend upgrading a production installation of Magento directly.

I do feel the pain of upgrades having problems, but they tell you not to start with a production site upgrade, and remind you to backup everything first.

So I install it on a non production site, and it doesn’t work!!  SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF A RELEASE THAT IS NOT TESTED??? Most people running Magento are not programmers, so what’s the point in them trying it on a test site - if it doesn’t work there’s not a lot they can do about it!

ButterfliesForRelease is right, Magento is giving open source a bad name.

Oh, I almost forgot what I came here for. I just installed the update and now I can’t put anything in the cart, and all my product options have dissappeared!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Periculi

Total Posts:  249

Varien uses us to QA test these releases.  Go flood the Bug Reports.  I’ll be there with my list of problems.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Badley

Dunester - 31 March 2009 10:29 AM

Magento is giving open source a bad name.

Don’t use it then, if you feel it so bad, alternatively you could actually submit bugs in the proper way, and by the way, open source projects will only improve if you submit bugs rather than needlessly complaining on the forum.

If you’re updated site isn’t live, why are you so bothered!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wong8egg

Total Posts:  21

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t they name this release beta when there are so much problems and is not intended for production site?

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

Total Posts:  340

Well yes I agree that each release is flooded with new bugs and I can sympathise, but old ones are also quashed..
you get what you pay for, and in this case, you get a damn good product for free.

We are the beta-testers and yes, I have spent probably days now filing bugs, but I still think Magento is rockin.
Watch the forums to get a feel for a release before you go live.  I for one skipped 1.2.0 as it seemed to break a lot of things, no matter how badly I needed the new search functionality..
1.2.1 was pretty solid (minus a few bugs which I reported and they were fixed in 1.2.1.1 and 1.2.1.2).  I’m testing 1.3.0 on my local install before deciding whether to update the pretty solid (within tolerable levels) 1.2.1.2.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulR

Total Posts:  10
Canada

Wong,
I would be happy with a beta release, but all their releases are alpha releases and we are all alpha testers, like it or not.
Stay with an early stable release for a live store, and have a second install of Magento on a different directory to test drive new releases. As a community and fans of Magento we all volunteer our time for testing and reporting bugs, it is the least we can do.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

everyone to their own.
i ::need:: the functionality in 1.2.1 (search, pretty tidy google checkout now..) and 1.2.1 is good so let’s agree to disagree.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris Badley

I don’t understand the problem here at all.....

Everyone seems to be moaning about the fact that they are testing the software....Well yes you are, but whats so hard about using Magento 1.3 in a non-production environment, and submitting a few bug reports, whilst your production site is left functioning with 1.2, in the mean time. I think people should be counting themselves looking that open source even exists, never mind complaining becuase they cant be arsed helping the projects evolve. Some of the attitudes on here are a disgrace!

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

someone needs to go to anger management classes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

whatever dude. don’t let the door hit you on your way out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alex.bsc
Guru

p-s-y-c-h-o! the guy started sending me profanities via pm.
moderators, please clean this post up as i would rather not see this eyesore whatever123 has created.

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

Wow, some people… It clearly states, DO NOT USE ON A PRODUCTION SITE.  Its your own fault for installing it on a live store, get a grip and stop crying.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Total Posts:  296
Los Angeles, CA

@markf

You’re missing the point the others are trying to make - why is nearly *every* release broken?  I’ve been around for a while and I know never, ever to install a recent release because they always break something. It shouldn’t be that way.

off-topic, to the Butterfly guy.. I’m speechless. I’m not gonna get into an animal rights discussion here, but my God I’m gonna need to sleep off the shock smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3