Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I show that some simple products are out of stock in customer-configurable attributes? 

sanfranman

Total Posts:  13
San Francisco

This is the problem: Say I am selling an iPod in 5 colors and I have only 2 colors in stock in the drop down menu in the customer-configurable attributes of the configurable product.

Customer must select the color and add the simple product to his shopping cart before he is told it’s out of stock! (that would bum anyone out) - so how can ‘out of stock’ be displayed in the drop down menu before the customer commits to buying it. (better still - how can a simple product be disabled from the drop down menu, so that configurable product only shows customer-configurable attributes which are in stock?)

(disabling products manually is not an option when you have thousands of products)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sanfranman

San Francisco

See the drop down menu in this link: It shows that items are out of stock. Can Magento achieve this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0QIRC/sr=1-13/qid=1203753785/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&m;=AD21V1UPTSCVD&s;=electronics&qid;=1203753785&sr;=1-13

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

How this would work with 2 configurable attributes, say Color and Size ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sanfranman

San Francisco

I not sure I understand, but if you have a simple product in your configurable product page which is out of stock, Magento doesn’t seem to let the customer know it’s out of stock until he clicks ‘add to cart’.

ideal situation woud be:

either: (1) show configurable attribute but mark it in the drop down as ‘out of stock’

or (2): remove the simple product (configurable attribute) from the drop down until it comes back into stock.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hello,

Now you can show a custom stock status for each configuration of a configurable product with Custom Stock Status extension:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/2386

Feedback welcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community