Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrading from beta 0.7 to 0.8

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

I have worked some with version 0.7, added several categories and products, made some css changes etc, and I am wondering about upgrading now.  I read somewhere in my research that it is very advisable to do a clean install and thats fine. I would delete all the files and replace them with the new unzipped files and run install again. I am on Linux and had no problems with first install.

What I am wondering is once the new version installs, do I just tell it to conect to the same database as I was using in 0.7 and all will be fine? This will bring in my categories and products etc?

Also can I replace boxes.css and reset.css since I made some changes within those, as well as in /app..../callouts/right_col.phtml to replace the blackboard thing.  Any other caveats I should be thinking about? Or other files I should be replacing from 0.7

Thanks, really love Magento!
Andy

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

I would:
1. leave your existing copy of files and database.
2. Create a copy of your database
3. Create new Magento installation connected to the cloned database,
4. Copy your changes (which should be separate files smile ) to new copy
5. Resolve incompatibilities.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

thenk you for that quick reply.  I tried to backup the db in PHPMyAdmin and got a surprise. Can you look at the attached. Is my db corrupted? I used the same technique I always do, load the db...Operations....Copy database to magento_08 (Structure and Data...Create DB before copying and got the attached.  Is my database messed up do you think?

Image Attachments
phpmyadmin2.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

i just tried to repair it but apparently its not possible

magento.admin_assert repair note “The storage engine for the table doesn’t support repair”

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community