Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Frontend Flat Catalog - More Info??? 

Gabriel Queiroz

Total Posts:  135
Brasília, Brazil

Hm… Guess that would not work if you have the hard drive as bottleneck, which is actually the case most of the times.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kimchi209

Total Posts:  67

I would love to disabled it in the config, but since enabling flat catalog I can’t get any buttons to work in my admin. Does anyone know how to manually turn off the frontend flat catalog?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

kim: Try upgrading to 1.3.1 and see if you get back your access then. Remember that 1.3.1 overwrites your .htaccess and index.php files as well so make sure to back up them prior to upgrading.

Magento Community
Magento Community

caiohn

Total Posts:  7

cbsteven - 02 April 2009 07:14 AM

It’d be nice if you could just edit the flat DB correctly and ignore the relational DB.. would probably be easier to set up and maintain. I doubt it’s possible though. We have a 30,000-item catalog and are building a solution using the API. It imports at a paltry 500 items/hour.

Hi cbsteven! I’m working in a similar store. Have about 37k products now, and I use the API to keep it updated based on the inventory/sales system of the company in real time.
When I have to re-install the site (I’m having to do that in almost every Magento upgrade, since the normal upgrade process won’t work for me, there’s always a bug or the customisations will stop working), I have to full import the products again. My process is spending about 9 hours for the 37k prods.

Magento Community
Magento Community

caiohn

Total Posts:  7

Hi all,

From what I understood, the flat catalog is a duplication of the actual DB in a single table to make queries faster. I didn’t have time to look at the feature yet, I’m reinstalling the site (see post above, I’m getting sick of this bloody Magento upgrade process), but my question is: is there a way to automate this refresh process of the flat table? My products get updated every 10 minutes by an automated process, so I would probably need to keep the flat table being updated on that rate as well.

Performance is really an issue today, but from what I can see now this solution won’t work for me :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wilco

Total Posts:  28

Turned it on for categories in our 4500 SKU, 290 category 1.3.0 webshop. (Re)built the hierarchy and then flushed the cache.

As a result I got a php error message on any category replated link I clicked on in teh front end. Switching it off and flushing the cache again solved it.

Not a feature we’ll be deploying any time soon, neither for categories nor for products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

spectrumaudio

Total Posts:  39

We had exactly the same problem as Wilco. Cannot seem to get this feature to work on 1.3.1, anyone out there have a solution?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

tippmann316

Total Posts:  26

Okay. I have a question. Does Flat Catalog effect real time in stock status?
We have Magento integrated with our Brick and Mortar Inventory and Order Management System, and it is constantly sending Qhantity On Hand information to Magento in real time as orders are processed.
How will the Flat Catalog effect this communication?
Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

weatherfront

Total Posts:  30

tippmann316 - 30 March 2010 07:33 PM

Okay. I have a question. Does Flat Catalog effect real time in stock status?
We have Magento integrated with our Brick and Mortar Inventory and Order Management System, and it is constantly sending Quantity On Hand information to Magento in real time as orders are processed.
How will the Flat Catalog effect this communication?
Thank you.

I second that. We are integrating with our enterprise system so updates to inventory will happen every 30 minutes or so. Does that mean the Flat Catalog will need rebuilding every time?

It has no benefit to us that I can see other than the titles of attributes (on a child web site) don’t appear in the Compare page without it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

weatherfront

Total Posts:  30

Excuse me but - bump.......

Magento Community
Magento Community

AdeshSuryan

Total Posts:  10
Delhi

Hey Every one ,
Flat Catalog Speed up Performance on the front-end in magento .

Magento Community
Magento Community

addalinkofcharm

Total Posts:  23

We have just upgraded to 1.8 have 5500 products, getting back results from seo company.  Too many links on a page, The all button is set at NO but on live site still shows view all as an option.  Our large categories show 300-400 charms all at once if the customer views all.  I found the product listing sort:  Use Flat Catalog Category, and Use Flat Catalog Product.  If I activate these and the speed up the search, will the links of over 100 per page still be an issue?

Please does anyone know how to get the View All option in the admin to respond to the selection of NO?????

Respectively, Tracy

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2