Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

error 1153 - MySQL issue max_packet_size exceeded

outsourcedEDM

Total Posts:  44

Hi there,

i’m getting an error on max_packet_size exceeded when trying to reindex the catalog search index through both the admin web interface and also using indexer.php..

To date, i’ve tried deleting locks in var/lock and also optimising the DB in the back end to no avail. My issue is that i can’t extend the max_packet_size variable in MySQL as it’s a shared host..

Does anyone know a work around for this? ie, turn off some product attributes beign searchable etc?

Adam

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

outsourcedEDM

any one seen this before?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

Usual fix is to get an adequate host that will optimize their server to run Magento for you.

Magento expects a certain amount of resources.

Disable stuff all you want, the same issues remain for the same reasons.

max_packet_size must be set to a size that Magento finds reasonable. If this isn’t the case, there are a whole load of other MySQL settings that have been set to be “fair” for all users on the server which will crop up later and cause your site to crash.

Magento despises “playing fair” and expects to be first at the table.

Magento Community
Magento Community

outsourcedEDM

thanks for the response, from searching the forums i can see that you’ve posted that response a few times wink

I’ve reached the conclusion that i’m going to have to switch hosts, however that’s not a solution for an immediate fix to this problem. Investigating the site (my client is adding her own products etc) i can see that she’s created incredibly configuration products, with one configurable product having up to 3000 attached simple products..

is there something that i can do to handle this a bit better? ie, a custom product configurator tool etc etc? any advice would be appreciated.

Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community