Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why modern theme destroying my layout? 

georgios78

Total Posts:  6
Greece

I installed latest magento version and sample products. Then I installed modern theme from magento connect.

This is the result:
http://www.e-shopleather.com/

Is this supposed to happen. Is there any configuration needs to be done?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

secondcanvas

Total Posts:  5

did you change theme info to modern under admin->configuration->design?  i’m a newbie too but learnin’…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Periculi

Total Posts:  249

Yeah, that is odd.. your modern theme looks exactly like the default theme. smile Did you switch it back?

Magento Community
Magento Community

georgios78

Total Posts:  6
Greece

It’s modern again and the layout still having problems. I upgraded magento and template

Magento Community
Magento Community

jballotti
Guru

Total Posts:  339
Chicago area

georgios78 - 10 April 2009 02:45 AM

It’s modern again and the layout still having problems. I upgraded magento and template

I don’t see a problem here. Why do you think the layout is having a problem? cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Periculi

I see a problem.  And from the html output it would appear that your left column is being stacked on top of the content because it is nested for some reason.

Umm… did you try adjusting the template to add the left column? 

<div class="col-main" id="main">
                                        <
div class="col-left side-col">

I don’t think it’s supposed to work like that.  In the demo store, there isn’t a left column on the main page, but if you go down into the catalog you can read the html source and find that the columns are not nested like yours seem to be.

So, what did you adjust?  Or… is it an error in the theme for 1.3.0?  I don’t bother playing with the prepared themes much.  I start from the Blank theme and never seem to run across problems like this.  Of course, I did run into a few errors in the blank theme for 1.3.0 that I had to repair.

Are you ready to dive into the template files and correct them?  Find out why your divs are nested, fix that and you should be seeing much better results.

I would start with checking the template/page/2column-left.phtml and other template files in that folder - look at the div structures and be sure that the child html calls are in the right order.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Periculi

So I can’t reproduce that issue.  I installed the Modern Theme through Magento Connect, tinkered with various template settings in the admin and everything is working great.  The only differences might be that you installed the sample data and that somehow messes up the layout (I can’t imagine how) or you changed something in the template.  You don’t actually need the sample data do you?  Did you alter the theme in any way?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community