Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Upgrading Magento? 

JesperDK

Total Posts:  87
Denmark

Hey,

I was wondering how you plan to upgrade Magento for excisting users? Are you releasing full new packages to replace earlier ones or does the program include some sort of upgrading function?

I’m mainly thinking about what happens if someone does their own modification to the source code and then upgrade to a new version? - and also if you plan to have backward compatility for products and categories?

Finally - are you planning to do more small upgrades along the way or build it all into fewer major releases?

Cheers,

- Jesper

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

I would keep track of all modifications you have done.
My method is to add the following to the comments at the top of the page that I have made a change

@hack Adam 08/09/2007

and then I comment the code that I have changed, something like this

/*
* @hack Adam
* Remove the number of items from displaying when there are 0 in the cart
*/

Then when magento is updated you simply need to check if you need to merge your hacks in smile
Nice and easy

Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesperDK

Denmark

Hey Adam,

Thanks - I guess it’s probably the best way to do it. And the only way to keep track of things in the long run anyway smile

How’s the weather in Brisbane? We’re actually considering moving to the Gold Coast next year…

Cheers,

- Jesper

Magento Community
Magento Community

mckooter

Total Posts:  91

yeah, roy has been notoriously saying in the forums that anything is possible and that current releases may not be compatible with the near future releases, so i would assume that not only would your code not be upgradeable, but it may not even work on the new code as things are actively changing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

After module distribution engine will be finalized it will be a snap.

All your modifications will be made as a local module that overrides existing modules functionality.
You would not touch nor overwrite existing code, so the future updates are possible.

In your customization module’s configuration you would specify which models, blocks, controllers, templates, etc. you will replace or extend.
After you have a successful custom module finished, you can package it and share with friends smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesperDK

Denmark

Hi Moshe,

That sounds promising… I can’t stop thinking about my previous osCommerce installation with all the custom hacks and extensions… if I were to upgrade that old installation, it would take ages to make sure all the changes were kept and moved to the new version!

Cheers,

- Jesper

Magento Community
Magento Community

Solar Frenzy

Total Posts:  48
London

JesperDK - 08 September 2007 12:06 AM

Hi Moshe,

That sounds promising… I can’t stop thinking about my previous osCommerce installation with all the custom hacks and extensions… if I were to upgrade that old installation, it would take ages to make sure all the changes were kept and moved to the new version!

Cheers,

- Jesper

I have made so many changes to my current OSC store that I doubt I’ll every be able to upgrade. More like the next iteration will be when I convert it to Magento (as soon as paypal integration and GBP is sorted - hint).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community