Magento Forum

Using a pear channel other than connect.magentocommerce.com/*

danieln

Total Posts:  131
Mainz, Germany

Hello,

is it possible to use an own pear channel for Magento connect? If I would like to distribute special packages (e.g. commercial extensions) can I set up my own pear channel which I could use with the Magento downloader?

Does anybody has experince with this or an idea on how to do it?

Best regards,
Daniel

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Yireo

Total Posts:  52
The Netherland

Hi Daniel,

I am contemplating the same thing and just finished some research. There is the Chiara PEAR Server (pear.chiaraquartet.net) that allows you to build your own channel. There are some tutorials explaining all, but the original is a bit outdated. Check this one out: http://thatsquality.com/articles/how-to-install-chiara-0-19-0-pear-channel-server

However, there are no built-in features to allow you to sell your packages easily. Because it’s open source, you could change the PHP-scripts to include license checks by checking the IP address. Besides that, PEAR is working on top of HTTP, so you could also use a firewall to block any non-customers.

Regards,
Jisse

Magento Community
Magento Community

danieln

Mainz, Germany

Hi Jisse,

thanks for your reply!

I knew about the Chiara Server and we are actually using it for other projects. I think the real challenge is to use the Maged Downloader with a pear channel other than Magentos. I tried it with phpunit’s channel but magentos downloader says its not a valid channel/package.

So I think making the Maged Downloader accepting other channels is the real challenge smile

Regards,
Daniel

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yireo

Total Posts:  52
The Netherland

Hi,

That doesn’t sound that hard. You can’t do that from the Magento Downloader itself. But what you can do, is let the customer install a custom extension that initializes the channel (pear channel-discover CHANNEL). Once that’s done, you should be able to use to use the channels packages from within the Magento Downloader (but I haven’t tested this).

Regards,
Jisse

Magento Community
Magento Community

danieln

Mainz, Germany

Hello,

I manually ran in console ‘pear channel-discover pear.phpunit.de’ with ‘magento/downloader/pearlib/pear’ bin. Channel was successfully added and I can run ‘pear install phpunit/PHPUnit’ from console. However if I try to install ‘phpunit/PHPUnit’ with the downloader I get the error ‘Invalid package identifier provided: phpunit/PHPUnit’.

Regards,
Daniel

Magento Community
Magento Community

danieln

Mainz, Germany

Hi,

In ‘downloader/Maged/Model/Pear.php’ line 227-232 Magento checks if package supposed to be installed is truly a Magento Connect package. A simple patch would resolve this. All we need to find out now is how to extend the downloader.

Regards,
Daniel

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community