Magento Forum

Setting up Magento before DNS points to the site

icceric

Total Posts:  2

Hi Everyone, my first post here, though I’ve been looming around for a few months.  Love Magento so far, but have come across some snags… here’s one now (maybe someone can help??)… smile

I recently purchased a gridserver account on MediaTemple.  My plans are to move my website off of an old hosting account (from another provider that I wont be renewing with) and move it to MediaTemple.  The old account has my website and an os commerce store.  I am moving the site to my new MT account and placing a shiny new Magento store up there as well.  So here is my dilemma…

I added the new domain to my MT account (have not yet changed the dns nameservers to point to MT account yet… hopefully will do this when Magento store is ready).  Since my DNS is not pointed to MT yet, I have an access domain name provided by MT to preview and work on site until DNS changes occur.

So, I set up this Magento store using the access domain name and not the actual real domain.

Is this going to create a problem for me then to access the Magento store with my normal domain name once I change the DNS info?

If so, can I do something about it?

Thanks in advance from a new user.

Eric

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I was wondering the same thing ....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

If you do not set HTTPS, Magento will not remember in configuration any specific domain and will work for any web address used.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

So ... if I already set the https because I thought I had to set it up then or never ... is it possible to change that?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Admin > System > Configuration > Web

Both Unsecure and Secure Base Urls set to {{base_url}}

Magento Community
Magento Community

icceric

Total Posts:  2

Thanks Moshe,
So if it was setup using HTTPS, then changing {{base_url}} to the actual http://www.domain.com domain name (once DNS is propagating correctly) will do the trick?

Thanks!
Eric

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community