Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Unable to create a “grouped product” of “bundled products”? 

kellykk

Total Posts:  3

On the surface, needing “grouped products” of “bundled products” sounds esoteric, but the flexibility to do this greatly simplifies and eliminates so much custom code we will have to maintain for the types of products we sell- the main reason we we are switching from os-commerce.  If only we could figure out how to do it grin

The ability of Magento to support the bundled & grouped product types is forward thinking, there are so many different scenarios involving similar-but-different products and trying to simplify how to manage, display, sell, x-sell & upsell them in different combinations that having these product types is great.

To explain/clarify what we are trying to do & why:

In our scenario, we sell courses of several different subjects(learn php, learn java, ect) in levels: basic, intermediate, advanced and our “bundle” deal where you get all levels for a special price.  We also sell those titles in four different formats(cd , hardbound, thumbdrive, download). You can imagine, we cant just drop a customer into product page showing a grid of all these options. It makes sense to group for presentation and management, and bundle so we can eaisily sell the “get al levels package” while preserving the fact there are multiple products making it up and retian the inventory management of those items.

So, we want to be able to create “grouped products” that contain EITHER simple products, OR bundled products:

1. we create a bundled product in magento to make a “single” sellable item that happens to be made up of 3 products we also sell seperately.  Example: the “learn Php bundle” on cd, the “learn java bundle hardbound’,etc, each bundle includes all levels- basic, intermediate, advanced.

2. We want to use “grouped products” to group the four formats for each “course title of a particular level"(simple product), OR “course title/all levels"(which is a bundled product). For instance, we would group “learn php basic on cd”, “learn php basic hardbound","learn php basic on download”, ect. OR “learn php bundle on cd”, “learn php bundle hardbound”,etc.

To me this all seems kosher based on my understanding of these product types in Magento, and what they were intended for.
HOWEVER, we cannot create a “grouped product” out of “bundled products”. I am not sure why, seems to me a bundled product is supposed to “represent” a single sellable product, even though it is composed of multiple products in reality.

Is my understanding of the product types wrong, am i missing something, am I just doing something wrong, or is it by design that you cant do this? Is there any way to do pull this off?

Thanks for any advice!

Bob S.
E-Commerce Systems Design

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

fragilem17

Total Posts:  56

I’m having the same need.. and no answer
grin so bump grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

anton78

Total Posts:  21

I cast a vote for Bundle Products to display simple product with custom options as well. Hope to see this in a future release very soon. I have been getting request of this type of feature more frequently.

Magento Community
Magento Community

el_juan

Total Posts:  5

Any update on this issue? also needing a grouped product that contains a bundle

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community