Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding a new field to products

mrspeaker

Total Posts:  44

I have an issue where Magento does not let you add a custom option to a bundled product with dynamic pricing. I need to add a line of text to some of the items, for customisation.

Normally, I’d just add a custom option with a text field, but you can not have custom options on bundled products, or simple products that are part of bundled products, when you have dynamic pricing.

To get around this I’d like to add a field to EVERY product that a customer adds-to-cart, that I could populate programatically.

Is there a way to add fields to the product table without messing with core code etc? Any information would be appreciated!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

BlueKai

Total Posts:  42
Madrid Spain

Is that text something the customer enters, or something you enter?

If it’s something the customer doesn’t have control over, it sounds like you want to add a custom product attribute. (admin > catalog > attributes > manage attributes)

If it’s a custom text field that the user enters, I’m not sure.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrspeaker

Yeah, it’s something the customer will choose - so it needs to be stored on the line-item when added to cart, not on the product table itself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

adsjflkj89j

Total Posts:  52

Yes, that does look like something you would use the attributes for. 

1) Create new attribute “whatevername”
2) Create new attribute set ("newset") with “whatevername” attribute included
3) Create configurable product with attribute “newset”
4) Create - Save and continue edit configurable product
5) Create new simple product using quick simple product creation in attribute section

http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts/configurable-products/view

Namaste

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrspeaker

Attributes would be perfect, except you can’t have configurable products inside bundled products, and you also can’t have custom attributes on simple products that are inside bundled products (with dynamic pricing).

So I basically need to replicate attribute functionality for this situation - which is why I’m thinking about adding fields. But that doesn’t actually make sense to add a field to a product… i need to add a field to the order line.

Could anybody suggest where I might look for information on doing this?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community