Magento Forum

Any ideas on how to move compare products block from right to left side

Claudio Vargas

Total Posts:  22

Hi

I´m trying to move the compare products block from the right side to the left side. My idea is to place it on top of the layered navigation block so I can leave the right side to display more products.

Any ideas on how to do this since there is no xml file in the layout folder magento\app\design\frontend\default\default\layout for the compare products block?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hez

Total Posts:  103

Try turning on the Template hints - it will show you on your page the files where all the different elements come from

System/Configuration
Change to your store
Developer
Template Path Hints - Yes

Heather

Magento Community
Magento Community

Claudio Vargas

Total Posts:  22

Awesome!! Thanks ohminu!! everything looks great now!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

aaronmark

Total Posts:  18
Nampa, ID

I tried the above but it does not work for me. Are you sure the compare block should be inside <reference name="right">? That doesn’t seem to make sense, since we’re trying to move it to the left… It doesn’t work for me when I put it inside <reference name="left"> either, though…

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Sweet, thanks!  This may be a dumb question but how do you access the Newsletter and Community Poll boxes?  They weren’t in that code.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

Did anyone get the ‘left’ vs. ‘right questions sorted out? Mine also has a ‘left’. Also, I’d like mind to be ‘after’ and not ‘before’. Any help here would be great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixxa

Total Posts:  275

same here!

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

It became clear after looking at catalog.xml a little closer that the left/right question is for when you have left/right columns setup. Also, I found that the before and after can be applied to most of the sidebar column widgets (compare, cart, related). What I can’t figure out is how to place a banner ad below all of the widgets.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vikashdwi

Total Posts:  3

Go to :

Magento Root app\design\frontend\base\default\layout

Copy your catalog.xml to local temptale

And move your block from <reference name="right"> to <reference name="Let"> like I’ve moved my compare product block from right to left as given below:

<reference name="left">
<block type="core/template" name="left.permanent.callout" template="callouts/left_col.phtml">
<action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_left_callout.jpg</src></action>
<action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog"><alt>Our customer service is available 24/7. Call us at (555) 555-0123.</alt></action>
<action method="setLinkUrl"><url>checkout/cart</url></action>
</block>
<block type="catalog/product_compare_sidebar" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
</reference>
<reference name="right">
<block type="catalog/product_compare_sidebar" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
<block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml">
<action method="setImgSrc"><src>images/media/col_right_callout.jpg</src></action>
<action method="setImgAlt" translate="alt" module="catalog"><alt>Keep your eyes open for our special Back to School items and save A LOT!</alt></action>
</block>
</reference>

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community